ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Erratic Speedometer?

Renault Clio 1.6 16V 3dr
The speedometer on my Clio 1.6 16V moves smoothly up to say 120km/h, then starts jumping wildly. I am told this is due to a small gear or something that is worn and which is situated on the gearbox? Where should I look?

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
speedo sensor, its like a black pencil, at the back of the gearbox, (next to the dogbone mount.

unclip the connection and then just pull the sensor out and replace with a new one , re connect.... job done

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
When I had my first Williams, my speedometer needle would jump all over the place. Turned out is was just the cable had come loose.

Another time it did it and was erratic, then stuck at 40mph even though I was doing more/less than that speed. Amazingly, all I did was top up the water in the engine and it cured it (was completely out of water).

Your sounds like the speedo sensor though.

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
When I had my first Williams, my speedometer needle would jump all over the place. Turned out is was just the cable had come loose.

Another time it did it and was erratic, then stuck at 40mph even though I was doing more/less than that speed. Amazingly, all I did was top up the water in the engine and it cured it (was completely out of water).

Your sounds like the speedo sensor though.

LOL!

Renault Clio 1.6 16V 3dr
Thanks everyone, I'll take a look at the sensor and the earth. The exhaust manifold was replaced recently, after it cracked right through, as the engine mounting broke when I swerved around a donkey and a pothole in the road :)

They might have knocked the sensor while working on the manifold?

Thanks everyone, I'll take a look at the sensor and the earth. The exhaust manifold was replaced recently, after it cracked right through, as the engine mounting broke when I swerved around a donkey and a pothole in the road :)

They might have knocked the sensor while working on the manifold?

Yep hightly likly.