ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ethernet?

Mondeo STTDCI
I have a Dell Inspiron laptop. Getting on a bit now TBH.

Am moving house soon. Gonna get one of those Virgin Media packages as they seem SO easy.

But it says I need Ethernet for the broadband...whats Ethernet!

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
a different connection ot usb that i guess you are donig now or wireless?

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
basically it is a bit clearer than a usb or something? all i know is it is better lol

VaVa
RJ 45 ethernet connection. Looks a bit like a bigger version of a phone socket if you like. Is used for connecting PC's in a wired network.

NIC cards for PC's are peanuts but I have no idea about laptops.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
You'll get both a usb and ethernet lead with your modem . Ethernets "supposed " be slightly better but it makes no difference whether i use the usb lead or ethernet lead with mine on virgin .

Evo 6, E92 320d
the reason it says you need ethernet it because initially the router must be set up with the right config, and as the wireless isn't set properly(if using wireless) you cannot adjust it without the cable.

ah as above , you will get a std thompson usb modem so you won't need ethernet

172 Cup
ethvsphone.jpg

standardcable.jpg

the reason it says you need ethernet it because initially the router must be set up with the right config, and as the wireless isn't set properly(if using wireless) you cannot adjust it without the cable.
I've never set up any wireless routers with the wire.

Mondeo STTDCI
It says there is no support for non-USB users after Feb 07.

Can I get it or not please?

FOCUS ST 275
Get a Ethernet to USB adapter as i had to do when we hooked up a network in our uni house and i had no ethernet port on my olds skool lappy.
Maplins is the shop "i have a ethernet cable but nowhere to plug it in, i need an adapter for it to work through USB" (or wwwwsbe if you fonejack) and they should know what ur on about.

RS 200
Do you have a network port on your laptop?

As shown in the pictures of the leads above the socket will look similar to that of an onboard modem apart from when you look closely inside, instead of seeing 2 little brass connecting pins you will see 8.
If you have this, set the settings for the network adapter to automatic and plug your pc into the modem you will be provided with. Your PC will pickup IP settings automatically from Virgin and you will be straight out onto the net. This isnt like ADSL where you have modems built into routers though, so if you want to share the connection at anytime you will need to buy an additional router.

Mondeo STTDCI
Im still none the wiser.

Right now I have phone line...bit of wire...wireless router....then laptop.

Now we're talking Ethernet? WTF.

I just want to know if I can do it or not? Why can no one give me a straight answer.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
take a pic of the bakc of your laptop so we can see if you actually have an ethernet connection. if you do then i would say yes, as you can set up the wireless router via thta initially then do the wireless set up. easy.

i use:

cable from phone line to router. ethernet cable to pc. (as i don't have a wireless pc. bit pointless really for me. )

FOCUS ST 275
Well if you answered the questions asked it would be usefull!!!!
Easy Question do you have a Ethernet Port???
http://library.webster.edu/pcguide/images/laptop_network/ethernet_port.jpg
(the one on the left with the network sign that the arrow is pointing towards)
If you have one then YES YOU CAN DO IT!
If you DONT HAVE ONE, get a USB to ethernet adaptor
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0002AFKN0/?tag=cliospnet01-21

There router may not have USB connection and only had ethernet, hence why they state Ethernet is required.
Like i said before i had this problem, no ethernet port so had to use the USB adaptor and all worked fine.

If your still un-clear PM me and ill try to help.
Ez.

RB 182
You should be fine Dave, the Dell Inspiron's have had network ports for ages and that's all your going to need.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
benclelland is also the knowledge on geek stuff so i agree. :)

Evo 6, E92 320d
I've never set up any wireless routers with the wire.

i could be wrong then, the majority that i've set up have recommended the cable be in initially, so i've just been going on instruction

Marky_

ClioSport Club Member
Im still none the wiser.

I just want to know if I can do it or not? Why can no one give me a straight answer.
Do you have the broadband modem? If so....
Plug the router to the modem with the cable. Then plug the laptop to the router using a separate cable.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
You'll get both a usb and ethernet lead with your modem . Ethernets "supposed " be slightly better but it makes no difference whether i use the usb lead or ethernet lead with mine on virgin .

Packet processing mean CPU time via USB.

You can offload the processing to the NIC if you use ethernet, ergo ethernet is better.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa

Packet processing mean CPU time via USB.

You can offload the processing to the NIC if you use ethernet, ergo ethernet is better.

Eh ? What ?? :S I just stated mines no faster using ethernet than it was using the usb cable .

RenaultSport 182
Im still none the wiser.

Dave, You should have no problems with the Dell.

However, if you do, the techie who installs the line should be able to sort you out.