ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

EVO 8 or 255 V6 !

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4

Quote: Originally posted by ian 182 on 18 May 2005

clio for looks and evo for speed

ian
^^ what he said, must admit, would be a very difficult decision to make

Renault Laguna Coupe

Tried em both (including getting the Evo on a track).

Evo seemed wobbly and understeered badly - only way to get its nose into a corner was to unsettle the back-end and whack it in sideways (great for a rally car, but not really practical on the road or track). Even the instructor hated it.

Much more carrying capacity than a V6 though, but horrendous running costs.

What i meant to say before my Internet Explorer went tits up is: ive been looking on Autotrader at 255s cause i need to decide on a colour and i looked at other things that i have wanted in the past and there is so much choice for around 20k. The only ones i really like is the P1 Scooby, Evo 8, and the 255. Personally for looks i would love the 255 and this is what im more than likely going for but there is still thoughts going through my mind as to whether i will be happy with it spending that sort of money. And by the way im a software developer at work and im bored sh*tless so im finding things to occupy my time!.

Mike - Thats one of the things that i dont really want is a high running cost, whats a service cost for a V6 and how often do you have to have one done?

The other good thing about a V6 is that i wouldnt want to buy any wheels or anything for the V6 cause its already sexy, whereas if i got a Scooby or Evo i would be tempted to spend money on wheels, lowering blah blah blah.. im boring myself now!.

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5

Quote: Originally posted by Tom20v on 18 May 2005
Quote: Originally posted by SOOTY on 18 May 2005Oh yeah. and does anyone know whats the fastest, P1 Scooby or Ev0 8?[/QUOTE]Which evo 8? 300/320/340?/400

Ang

Pink/Blue 182

Quote: Originally posted by SOOTY on 18 May 2005

Oh yeah. and does anyone know whats the fastest, P1 Scooby or Ev0 8?
Which evo 8? 300/320/340?

or the 330 ?

the fq330 is an amazing car...

but id probably get a red v6 :oops:

DC5

Unfortuantely, before I was old enough to drive, my dad test drove the P! and EVO 6 in the same weekend, and the EVO 6 was quicker IMO, but it all depends on which EVO 8 you are looking at.

The Jinx

V6. RWD is better. And from what Ive heard most evos after number 5 are dull once youre used to the whack in the back and not all that fun as drivers cars. Theyre oft described as playstation cars. Just point and squirt.

V6 is probably more of a challenge.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Quote: Originally posted by Bezza4 on 18 May 2005

Unfortuantely, before I was old enough to drive, my dad test drove the P! and EVO 6 in the same weekend, and the EVO 6 was quicker IMO, but it all depends on which EVO 8 you are looking at.
A standard Evo 6 isnt quicker at all. probably a better car though

Ang

Pink/Blue 182

Quote: Originally posted by Swervin_Mervin on 18 May 2005

V6. RWD is better. And from what Ive heard most evos after number 5 are dull once youre used to the whack in the back and not all that fun as drivers cars. Theyre oft described as playstation cars. Just point and squirt.

V6 is probably more of a challenge.

i can only vouch for the 8....but it certainly isnt dull......:D

DC5

Like I said it was only IMO, as much as you can tell from sitting in a passenger seat. Both cars are a few years old now, so cant remember exactly. But I thought the EVO was 4.4secs to 60, and the P1 about 4.6. That making it quicker. I know 0.2secs is nothing, and would come down to driver skill, but where you said "isnt quicker at all", isnt technically true.

Either way both cars are great cars, but I personally prefer the EVO

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Like I said it was only IMO, as much as you can tell from sitting in a passenger seat. Both cars are a few years old now, so cant remember exactly. But I thought the EVO was 4.4secs to 60, and the P1 about 4.6. That making it quicker. I know 0.2secs is nothing, and would come down to driver skill, but where you said "isnt quicker at all", isnt technically true.

Evo 6s are 4.8 to 60 and a P1 is 4.4

Also a P1 is almost a second quicker to 100 (12.3 Vs 13.1)

DC5

Evo 6s are 4.8 to 60 and a P1 is 4.4

Also a P1 is almost a second quicker to 100 (12.3 Vs 13.1)
Its not really important, and not that bothered. But all the websites I looked on and the mags I looked at when the EVO 6 first came out said it was 4.4.

Thats not really what this topic is about though. I say you should get a V6 either way

Clio 200 Cup

Got to be the Evo surely. Both have high running costs, Evo is more practical, faster, better made, has more potential if modding, doesnt have to be overly treated with respect in the wet, etc..

Both cars are nice, would love to be in your position. Would be the 8 everytime for me though :)

Clio RS 172 Ph2

I guess it depends on what you want from a car - the Vee is quick, but not as rapid as either evos or scoobies, so if its out & out speed you want - look there.

Also, practicality wise the other 2 win hands down - no boot or back seats isnt everyones idea of a useable car.

However the Vees are cheaper to service, probably more economical to run, they look amazing and (most importantly to me) are rare as hens teeth.

You cant go by a day without seeing at least one Evo/Scooby on the motorway, usually driven by company drivers, whereas after 5 years or more of production, I can probably say Ive seen less than 10 Vees (maybe as few as 5), and of those, probably only 1 or 2 mk2s.

For my money, theyre quick enough, depreciate more slowly than the *common* subarus & mits, and look the mutts nutts - as you say, you dont need to go fitting bodykits, spoilers, allys etc to stand out from the crowd, just buy a standard one, and you already do!

You pays your money & takes your choice!

I like rare cars - Vee gets my choice every time!

v6 mk2

Quote: Originally posted by stevoversteer on 18 May 2005

Got to be the Evo surely. Both have high running costs, Evo is more practical, faster, better made YOU OBVIOUSLY HAVENT BEEN IN AN EVO THEN, THE JAPS ALWAYS MAKE GOOD CARS BUT NO WAY ARE THEY WELL MADE INSIDE!! MY BROTHERS SUBARU IS LIKE MY GRANDADS OLD MAZDA 323 INSIDE!! KNOBS LIKE BOILED SWEETS!!, has more potential if modding, doesnt have to be overly treated with respect in the wet, etc..

Both cars are nice, would love to be in your position. Would be the 8 everytime for me though :)

Mike - Thats one of the things that i dont really want is a high running cost, whats a service cost for a V6 and how often do you have to have one done?

Well SOOTY my car just yesterday had its 4th service the costs were............to within a pound or 2 as follows: -

12,000 mile service £124

24,000 mile service £135

12,000 mile service £144

and yesterday it had another 24,000 mile service for the details of that one see "A. Clark-Dundee" in the dealers section.

Also I have enquired about the cost of a timing belt change which mine will be due next year at 5 years old and the quoted cost is £790...........but that WILL come down eh and it is only every 5 years as opposed to a service every 4,500 miles with the Evo.

Cya Stu

PS all the costs for my servicing have been posted on the forum a few times in response to the same question you should be able to track them down via "search".

Totally different types of car. You have to go and have a drive of each yourself and see which one YOU prefer. I have had 2 Scoobys incl a P1 and an Evo (preferred the P1) and now want a drivers car where my driving input dictates the cars behaviour and not the 4wd systems. Evos and particularly scoobies are very common now too. I would have something rarer and less dare I say it Chav. The Rally reps are fantastic, but RWD is now where it is at ;) Clio V6 MkII soon to be in the garage. :D

Go and drive each of them!

[Edited by PaulMc on 18 May 2005 at 6:01pm]

[Edited by PaulMc on 18 May 2005 at 6:04pm]

V6 255 Illiad Blue

Got to be a V6 any day of the week. Times are pretty unimportant as when are you going to use them to 100% potential on the road? Hardly ever. I went through the same thought process last week and decided on a Mk2 V6..... Just gotta find a nice one now..... Have you considered the S2 Exige? About as practical as 255 but even more of a drivers car. Personally i prefer the V6. Jap motors are good but they just arent the kind of motor that you would be looking out of your bedroom window at when you get up and before going to spleep -or sleep even:).......

DO IT GET THE VEEEEEE :):)

BMW 120i Sport

No brainer, Evo 8.

As much as i like the V6 and think its unique, its just not Evo 8 territory. I would like the ability to carry four adults comfortably and plenty luggage whilst still being incredibly rapid; plus the 4 wheel drive.

Vee dub

I drove the FQ340

Never driven a V6 but I would be completely stumped as to what to buy

S2000

We tested the Evo 7 twice (didnt like it much at all the 1st time) and was taken out in an 8 once and I sold on the V6 as soon as I drove it.

The V6 is definately more of a challenge. If you dont want high running costs then dont even think about the Evo.

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer

Quote: Originally posted by telford_mike on 18 May 2005

Tried em both (including getting the Evo on a track).

Evo seemed wobbly and understeered badly - only way to get its nose into a corner was to unsettle the back-end and whack it in sideways (great for a rally car, but not really practical on the road or track). Even the instructor hated it.

Much more carrying capacity than a V6 though, but horrendous running costs.
Geometry is usually out from the factory, get it set up correctly and it will have 0 understeer. I have owned Evos for a couple of years now and they are far superior to the Scoob and would blow a 255 into next week.

You are correct about the running costs i budgeted for £500 per month not including purchasing the car as i bought it outright...!

turbo cars can be frantic and tiring to drive on longer journeys. A quick thrash is what they are all about, which is ok if your using them as a toy.Driven hard an evo or impreza will average 7 mpg, and im speaking from experience here. I love the look of my v6 just as it is, it must be the only car i have owned for more than a year that i dont want to sell yet. I love and sometimes miss my manic turbo cars ,but i never could have been content with my clio v6 if i never owned the jap stuff.