ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Exactly what is "FORCED" induction?

Lionel Richie
exactly what it says on the tin, air is forced into the engine, rather than the engine sucking it in itself (imagine you breathing)

Clio 182
air is drawn into a bigger area then the air pushes it into a smaller area where the filter is.

eg. a funnel shape i believe where the air is hitting the larger end and the filter is at the smaller end.

Doesn;t it have to involve a mechanical device (turbo/supercharger) to be forced induction? The 'funnel' concept applies to most airboxes I think, and some cars have a 'ram effect' into the airbox (197 included, apparently), but it's not classed as forced induction.

fiesta zetec s mk5 / 182
Forced induction is a term used to describe internal combustion engines that are not naturally aspirated. Instead, a gas compressor is added to the air intake, thereby increasing the quantity of oxygen available for combustion. This compressed air is normally referred to as boost or charge air

wikipedia...;)

Clio 172 mk2
Doesn;t it have to involve a mechanical device (turbo/supercharger) to be forced induction? The 'funnel' concept applies to most airboxes I think, and some cars have a 'ram effect' into the airbox (197 included, apparently), but it's not classed as forced induction.

That's because it isn't forced induction....'ram air' induction trumpets etc are just marketing BS

Mk2 1.2 Campus

So which mechanical part of this is going to 'ram' the air in? Please explain the difference between raming the air in and forcing lol

what about if you had the butterly facing towards the flow of air without a filter surely at 60+ mph this would give some sort of forced induction ;)

Edit: an also a fked engine of course!!

So which mechanical part of this is going to 'ram' the air in? Please explain the difference between raming the air in and forcing lol

I think ram air works on a similar basis to underfloor aerodynamics (bear with me here) - The air coming in chanelled into a smalled space as it comes in, which speeds up the air flow, which then sucks even more air in.

Forced induction is when you have a spinning impellor/propellor that is then driving more air into the engine. Turbo's use exhaust gases to spin this, whilst superchargers are run by the engine itself.

I think this is about right, but somebody please correct me if I'm wrong!