ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Excel Formula Assistance

Bumder With A Buffer
Im having an extremely blonde day today and just cannot get my head around why this formula is incorrect.

I have made a spreedsheet that tracks TOIL for us here at work but I hit a snag when a MINUS number of hours are added into my cell.

Formula is this in cell Columns I...=SUM(F4-G4+H4)............This cell is formatted with [h]:mm as I need the TOIL to be shown in that way

Cell F4 = Monthly Total of hours formatted [h]:mm
Cell G4 = Hours should be worked that month formatted [h]:mm
H4 is Balance brought forward. Now this last cell is also formatted [h]:mm and works fine until a minus figure needs to go in that. I have to do '-16:30 to get the minus hours in there and then get an error in my calculation #VALUE!

Now I can get the formula to work by changing cells in H and I to GENERAL but then the resulting calculation is displayed as say 16.75 hours which is not how I want it displayed.

Anyone able to shed some light???

Bumder With A Buffer
Fcuk it I played around and came up with a "solution"

Made an extra column of "hours" that is the negative column. So I have 2 columns for TOIL hours from previous months. One for positive one for negative hours.

Then made a formula that says if its in that column to minus it, if its in the positive then add it ... =IF(H27<>"",J27+H27,J27-I27) Appears to work so all is good and displays in the format hh:mm which is what I want.

That'l do pig

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Rich - I think i've understood you correctly...

If you want to do it with out faffing about with extra columns etc, it is possible.

Is the attached what you were looking for?

View attachment Book1.xls

If so I will talk you through what the crack is.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
Do you not have to 'tell' your formula the negative number should be read as an absolute value?

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Do you not have to 'tell' your formula the negative number should be read as an absolute value?

You can stick =abs(formula) in front of the sum that the OP has posted, however it's a bit misleading as not easy to identify who has a positive and who has a negative balance.

Bumder With A Buffer
Cheers for the post Boosh..

its a bit more complicated then that though.

I have 5 Sheets on the workbook. First 4 are weekly time in and outs split into days.

Important stuff is on last sheet to do with monthly totals. It takes the data from sheet 1 and populates that cell (formatted [h]:mm)

Does this for the 4 weekly totals in columns B, C, D, E

Column F = =SUM(B4:E4)

Column G ="37:30"*4 to give hours should work.

Edit sod that here is a rough example if dropbox works

https://www.dropbox.com/s/th5okhfopeku2fl/TimeSheet.xls?v=0mcns

Only have 1 week on there usually I will have 4 and then the sums mentioned above.

I used to do it by just having one coumn for TOIL "H" and then do this in difference =SUM(F6-G6+H6) but if any negative value was added into column H I would get a #VALUE! error due to having to put a single quotation in that cell to get a negative number.

Last edited: