ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Excel help

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Hi,

I've a speadsheet with 27k rows in it.

I want to identify who has same names but different DOB in this sheet using a formula.

I can do it using pivot tables but would rather not as I cba to train other people how to use pivots.

Cheers

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
Maybe you could sort by Name then DOB columns then use some kind of nested IF statement? I'm sure someone will be along shortly to confirm a better way of doing it.

Honda & VW
^^ This sort by Name column then DOB.

There is a more complicated formula whereby you can locate how many name matches there are but going by what you need the above is perfect

330i. E30 Touring.
Easiest way of doing it would be to just filter by contains.

You could split it all out using text to columns. Then sort by surname.

What's the context though- what are you trying to show people?

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Mike, my OP is seriously dumbed down. Can't really explain the context as there's loads. I just need to be able to identify people who have same names but different dates of birth :)

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
Column A is populated with NAME
Column B is populated with DOB

Sort by NAME then DOB

In C2 use =IF(A2=A1,"YES","NO") then copy formula down
(This tells you whether the NAME is repeated)

In D2 use =IF(B2=B1,"YES","NO") then copy formula down
(This tells you whether the DOB is repeated)

Apply Filter and filter column C to show only "YES" and column D to show only "NO"
(This should show you all people who have the same NAME but different DOB)

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Thanks for the help Tim. Although that works a treat this is a regular update thing.

I think I've solved it by using a hidden pivot table in combination with a vlookup. Have just stuck a simple bit of VBA in there that refreshes the pivot everytime it's saved.