ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Excessive Inside Edge Tyre Wear

Clio 172 Ph1
Ok, so for the last couple of weeks, I've been certain the handling has been deteriating on the 172. I put it down to a combination of the front tyres getting a bit low and the wet weather we've been having but things seem to have been getting steadily worse. I therefore had a good look at/feel of the front tyres today and was amazed to find that the inside edges of both front tyres are completely bald :eek:

So, obviously, I'm ordering new tyres tonight, however I'd just like to know what could have caused the tyres to wear like this? Is there likely to be a problem with the setup of the front suspension, or could it simply be the tracking that is out?

Is it lowered? Or, if not, is the suspension still the original items?

If they are the original items they may be getting tired, meaning that the front end could, in effect, be lowered. Feel for the bottom of your springs - they are the same springs as the Williams used and they are known to snap, meaning you lose half a coil or something.

Lowering changes your wheels from sitting like this |....| to like this /....\ so the inside edges do wear more.

If the ride height and camber is still fine though then it might be too much toe out?? (I think? lol)

Clio 172 Ph1
Nope, not lowered at all, and as far as I'm away the suspension is the original setup. I've only had the car just less than a month though so not 100%. I'll have a check through the servicing receipts later to see if any work has been done on it at all, just in case.

As for feeling for the bottom of the springs, what am I feeling for? My knowledge of cars is limited to driving them lol.

Thanks for the reply, by the way :)

The springs should go round and round like a spring does and come to a stop at the bottom, like it's been cut off.

If the 'end' of the spring feels jagged or not a flat surface then it could be that the bottom bit has snapped off - both mine have... lol :clown:

You need to get the tracking looked at at a place that does it well, as above, but if you don't want to get tyres just yet then I'd get it done soon so you can preserve what you have left!

Clio 172 Ph1
Thanks for all the replies, will see what I can feel at the bottom of the springs and if all ok I'll get it booked in to have the tracking checked and tyres done at the same time.

Cheers :D