ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Exhaust and Manifold Upgrade options

Dynamique+ 1.4
Been looking into putting a full stainless system onto my clio (1.4 16v Mk2) later on this year. Gunna be somthing like the K-tec stealth system, But ive also come across a few 4 to 1 manifolds aswell. Is it worth doing the manifold too? K-tec say that up to 8bhp gains have been seen on the 1.2 16v models with the 4-1 manifold on. Obviously with a good induction kit, a 4 to 1 and a stainless cat back system would i be starting to push quite a fewmore horses?

Im also guessing that once youve done all that, a 10% chip would be alot more effective than whacking one onto a completly standard engine?

Cheers

Dynamique+ 1.4
Those chips are meant to give 10 on their own though... Im thinking if you sorted the exhaust and induction out then stuck a chip in onto a non standard engine it'd give a better output from the chip

Dynamique+ 1.4
chip or remap will give 2-3bhp, on a modded engine it will make more use of ur mods and the above mods will give 10bhp MAX
Thats w**k, concidering that lot will cost a grand. How are you so sure anyway? I want to know why exactly you seem to think a chip that every single one ive looked at states it gives around 10 more bhp, will only give 2?

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
because its marketing, they all pull figures out their ass to sell them, theres no way on any N/A clio your going to get 10bhp from a "chip"

full exhaust, decent filter and remap will get 10bhp on a 172/182 if your lucky! not a 1.4!

Dynamique+ 1.4
Anyone else know anything? surely companys cant give out figures that are 5times less than what you will actually get

Dynamique+ 1.4
Hmm ok then, might just put the zorst on, along with some FK coilovers and anthracite speedlines

M

mini-valver

I'm looking into manifolds for my 1.6, one idea I've had is to get a 182 manifold and cut the flange off, bend the pipes in and weld a K4M flange back on.

Seriously though, a manifold/de-cat/cat back and chip will give you 8-10 bhp. I had a Prospeed, de-cat, Simota IK and matched inlets and I doubt i gained 5. It's response that improves most and low down torque.

M

mini-valver

I'm not saying they don't do anything! My car was so much better to drive, throttle response wise and it did "Feel" quicker, especially accelerating from lower down in the gears. 20-60 in 2nd and 40-90 in 3rd were alot better after I had the manifold done.

What do you expect for £6-700 on a N/A engine!

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
a decent exhaust makes the car sound better and along with a decent filter it will make the car breath easyer making throttle response a bit better, theres more to it than just BHP!

these mods will make the car better to drive and make it "feel" a good bit faster (the noise helps!)

on these cars your best bet is decent suspension and brakes! and loose weight!!

Clio 1.6L 16V
  ClioI Ph.3 1.6 16V
I'm looking into manifolds for my 1.6, one idea I've had is to get a 182 manifold and cut the flange off, bend the pipes in and weld a K4M flange back on.

O.K. it was only a 172 manifold.....;)

k4m_rs_fertig_2.jpg

k4m_rs_fertig_3.jpg

and designed for my MeganeII 1.6 16V...

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
thats what i like to see some good old fasioned DIY!!!

is it possible to use a 182 manifold or is it too long unless you make a full new centre section?

ClioI Ph.3 1.6 16V
is it possible to use a 182 manifold or is it too long unless you make a full new centre section?

I can´t say, for my purpose the 172 manifold was the ideal base. Other strong point, they are easy to get, because many 172 owners install the 182 manifold...

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
yeah i know they are much cheaper, i cant see why it wont fit but you never know. not really worth the high cost of a 182 manifold plus custom centre section if needed for the small gain over a 172 manifold though!

ClioI Ph.3 1.6 16V
In my opinion there are other alternatives availible, if you want to have a 4-2-1 exhaust manifold at your K4M engine. As the subframe of the ClioII differs not verymuch from the ClioI (also in terms of rear engine mount position) I think it´s possible to adapt for example the supersprint exhaust manifold for the valver. If yiu combine it with custom made exhaust system and metal catalyst you only need to weld on another flange to the cylinder head and copensate the different portspacing (85mm K-engine, 89mm F-engine).

But as I told here in may case, I wanted to keep the already installed components of my Megane, as described here in the last post: http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=281664&page=9