ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Exhaust fun.

2002 172
Hi all.
Would we say that 5 hours to fit this is normal?
1 of us a mechanic.

Nightmare!
Almost gave up

Attachments

• IMG20230809182202_1.jpg
    IMG20230809182202_1.jpg
    937.4 KB · Views: 110

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
I don't think my mechanic even charged me extra labour when he replaced that on my 182 at the same time as another job. Can't be rocket science surely?

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Aye it's a piece of piss on a 182

On a 172 it's a fuckin nightmare unless you're from Norwich and you have 3 hands and 18 fingers

Absolutely second this. I’ve got a 172 decat on mine to link to the downpipe and it’s an absolute c**t of a job. There are no human hands that are capable of holding everything in place and getting those little shitty nuts on.

The only way I had any success was sticking a f**k off threaded bar through one side and tightening it so I could get the other side done then swapping over. I’d love to say never again but no doubt the car will s**t itself again soon and it’ll need done again.

182 - total piece of piss

2002 172
Aye it's a piece of piss on a 182

On a 172 it's a fuckin nightmare unless you're from Norwich and you have 3 hands and 18 fingers
I ended up blutacing the spring to the anti squeal cup, blutacing the nut into the socket and having my mate contort himself in the engine bay and push on the bolt with all his strength so I could JUST compress the spring enough to get the nut started.
BTW, the wire from the ignition switch to the starter solenoid is about the same level on the & #&%*! scale.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Once again CS strikes

"fUkiN EzPz m9 i cOuLd dO It In My SlEeP"

Until you've done it on a 172 you don't know what real pain is. I think in the end I started punching the underside of my car because every time I got it started I'd forgotten the washer or then the nut fucked off. I'm getting Vietnam flashbacks just thinking about it

2002 172
Once again CS strikes

"fUkiN EzPz m9 i cOuLd dO It In My SlEeP"

Until you've done it on a 172 you don't know what real pain is. I think in the end I started punching the underside of my car because every time I got it started I'd forgotten the washer or then the nut fucked off. I'm getting Vietnam flashbacks just thinking about it
Do you think there's some kind of remedial group we can all join? 😢🤣

Bankrupt_drunk

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Good to see it wasn't just me that found doing it on a 172, by myself, in the rain was a total PITA. And I'm sure it still catches the rear beam, despite lots of adjustment and pulling the engine forward.

2002 172
Good to see it wasn't just me that found doing it on a 172, by myself, in the rain was a total PITA. And I'm sure it still catches the rear beam, despite lots of adjustment and pulling the engine forward.
I can't even imagine trying to do it by yourself.
You deserve some kind of a medal.

Bankrupt_drunk

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I can't even imagine trying to do it by yourself.
You deserve some kind of a medal.
If you'd seen the tears, swearing, tool abuse, grinding teeth and mashed knuckles you'd be more likely to take me toolbox away and stop me from ever working on cars ever again.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Looks like a cow of a job to do the front exhaust flange on 172. Ill dodge that one in the future :LOL:

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I would say anyone saying it’s a 30 min or less job is referring to a 182. On a 172 it’s a s**tter.