ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Exhaust heat wrap...

Ph1 172 & meg 225 lu
will be mixed opinions but i would say yeah, i've had mine done and the engine bay temp is so much lower than before

172 Cup
I've wrapped a lot of my exhaust as I wanted to remove the heat shielding from under the car as I could not get them to stop rattling. Quite lucky though as I used to be in the Merchant navy and, erm, borrowed a pile of exhaust wrap for the car. It can be expensive stuff.

172 5HED
I've wrapped a lot of my exhaust as I wanted to remove the heat shielding from under the car as I could not get them to stop rattling. Quite lucky though as I used to be in the Merchant navy and, erm, borrowed a pile of exhaust wrap for the car. It can be expensive stuff.

Got any spare ;);)

My bloody diffuser sheild wont stop rattling!!

C

cliosportheth

i just put some on mine and the engine seems to run alot cooler,i have just wrapped my 182 manifold and cost me 60quid and used 15metres of the stuff and q canny few metal zipties,gud luck with the choice

Be warned that you are transfering the heat to other parts of the exhaust, used to burn my hand on the floor after wrapping mine

I did it on my punto turbo, and apart from the fact its s**t stuff when it gets wet, i felt no realy benefit. It just means the bits that arent wrapped get hotter.

Save ya cash and get something else.

Or, ceramic coat it i think is the more expensive alternative?

172 5HED
I did it on my punto turbo, and apart from the fact its s**t stuff when it gets wet, i felt no realy benefit. It just means the bits that arent wrapped get hotter.

Save ya cash and get something else.

Or, ceramic coat it i think is the more expensive alternative?

It was just a passing thought mate!! I have some ideas for bay cooling for my trackdays as seen at oulton on a civic!!

Behind the plate 4 big feck off holes!! Covered day to day but then extra cooling on track!

No point what so ever. It's good at causing engine bay fires and making up for piss poor design where radiated heat is causing local components to melt.... as such its a staple of the low volume sports car industry.

You don't need it, you don't want it and it won't do anything useful.

Cheers
M

172 5HED
No point what so ever. It's good at causing engine bay fires and making up for piss poor design where radiated heat is causing local components to melt.... as such its a staple of the low volume sports car industry.

Cheers
M

Matt, thanks mate!! So you kind of think I dont want it then lol!!!??? :eek::eek:

Used to be used on the M12's to stop the battery melting, then it'd make an excellent wick for engine bay fires when the front bank turbo oil feed failed.

On any production car from a large OEM you don't need it, sufficent work has been done on engine bay air movement etc to ensure high temperature components have sufficent ambient flow to cool them effectively, or simply move the heated air around the component out of the bay.

Cheers
M

Clio 172 Cup
I'd also be worred about the exhaust manifold or where ever you wrap running a lot hotter than intended, can lead to premature failure/cracks if you are unlucky.

It is by the book. You can drop the subframe out and battle out that way if needs be... on a Cup car anyway, road car might have a few more bits in the way.

Cheers
M

Ph1
I'd also be worred about the exhaust manifold or where ever you wrap running a lot hotter than intended, can lead to premature failure/cracks if you are unlucky.

Its meant to run cooler that the whole point of it. :)

Got it done on mine. Zero gain tbh , not worth it

I only did mine as the 172 manifold I used is silly close to the brake lines in a mk1...keeps the temprature away from them, checked a good few times after drives now...apart from that not noticed anything else tbh

Ph1

Cheers
M

Someone else posted about the fire threat before.

How can they sell it if theres a risk of a fire? Also isnt the idea of it to be heat resistant ?? ie non flamable :S
Its the same kind of stuff they use in heat blankets plus various places advertise it wrapped round exhaust components so not sure how it can cause fires if its used in the correct application as stated :S

Someone else posted about the fire threat before.

How can they sell it if theres a risk of a fire? Also isnt the idea of it to be heat resistant ?? ie non flamable :S
Its the same kind of stuff they use in heat blankets plus various places advertise it wrapped round exhaust components so not sure how it can cause fires if its used in the correct application as stated :S

Because if you have a fluid leak it holds this fluid against the now much hotter than usual manifold until it combusts. Whereas normaly you may get a bit of smoke a wrapped exhaust will hold sufficent spilt oil, for example, against the exhaust component to cause an engine bay fire, at which point assuming the oil is still leaking it acts just like the wick of a candle.

Cheers
M

Ph1
Good point.
Still it would have to be a fairly freaky set of circumstances to cause such a event. I mean, you'd have to be dropping oil directly onto the wrap, quite a bit of oil too of which you'd hopefully spot it prior and oil alone isnt highly flamable added to the wrap not being a flamable material.

Can see what you mean about the wick effect though :)

2005 Nissan Navara
Good point.
Still it would have to be a fairly freaky set of circumstances to cause such a event. I mean, you'd have to be dropping oil directly onto the wrap, quite a bit of oil too of which you'd hopefully spot it prior and oil alone isnt highly flamable added to the wrap not being a flamable material.

or a bust brake line, or pas pipes, or dry sump oil pipe.

Oil is highly flamable if you heat it past it's flash off point - how do you think waste oil burners work? It's also a fucker to put out once going.

Also as stan* says brake fluid, PAS, ATF/Gearbox oil etc. etc. can all end up in various unsavory places should the worst happen - PAS/ATF is another good un in that once its going its a b*****d to put out!

Cheers
M

Stage 2 Meg Trophy
I had the manifold wrapped on an RS Turbo and when the oil feed for the turbo split .................

DSC00514.jpg