ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Exhaust Options

JimF

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Ey up.
Just wondering what options there are for a Ph2 172 catback exhaust that's available new, rather than having to scour the classifieds. Needs to be trackday quiet and preferably stealth type.
I don't think the PMS mates up to the standard cat so gets quite dear when you add the sports cat.
KTec - Are these any good? I know the opinions on KTec are hit & miss, but not sure if that is for their exhausts or just them as a company.
Direnza - Don't know if they offer one, but I don't want to use them.
Custom - If I'm paying close to £500, am I just best off getting something made up? Then at least its being fitted and is guaranteed to be quiet enough and not bang anything on the undercarriage...
Are there any more? Milltek don't have anything but they've been focussing on newer cars for a while now.

Reason I'm looking is I've replaced my rotting standard system with a cheap pattern part to get it through the MOT, and its making contact under the car, and feels slightly restrictive.

chazza114

ClioSport Club Member
I've got a unsilenced KTEC stealth on my car with a decat, and I'll warn you now, it is loud! Ideally if you're wanting to daily drive it I'd go for a silenced one. The quality of it is really good, fits well with some fresh hangers and so far seems to not rusted. As always with KTEC it took ages for them to ship it out, but that's not surprising.

IMG_6555.JPEG

IMG_8380.JPEG

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Valvers & 172 Cup
Piper is what you want, probably the best quality aftermarket stuff I've seen for a 172 - admittedly I've not seen a lot but I'm very happy with mine

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
I've got a unsilenced KTEC stealth on my car with a decat, and I'll warn you now, it is loud! Ideally if you're wanting to daily drive it I'd go for a silenced one. The quality of it is really good, fits well with some fresh hangers and so far seems to not rusted. As always with KTEC it took ages for them to ship it out, but that's not surprising.

View attachment 1697015

View attachment 1697017

Why does yours hang so low?

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Granted mines a 182 but this video is of my Piper with silenced mid section still in but decatted.

Not sure what @krarl and @Louis had/have fitted to theirs but may give you an idea on the slightly different sounds.

Mine and @Louis sound in perfect harmony on this video. You just have to ignore the silly man driving backwards in the oooo yep mobile and the oil chucking s3 😂

JimF

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Great info thanks! I might end up running a decat at some point but just want to get the stupid exhaust sorted for now.

My centre exhaust mount was completely shagged so it was bouncing around everywhere, in that picture it’s most likely fallen out of the rear hanger which happened from time to time 😂

I spotted this but didn't want to say :ROFLMAO:

The car is stripped and caged and mainly a track car, but I really don't want to fail noise testing on track so happy to go for quiet options.

Looks like its Piper or K Tec. Admitedly the Piper system looks nicer. How come it has two different length flanged sections - for Phase 1 and 2?

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
Great info thanks! I might end up running a decat at some point but just want to get the stupid exhaust sorted for now.

I spotted this but didn't want to say :ROFLMAO:

The car is stripped and caged and mainly a track car, but I really don't want to fail noise testing on track so happy to go for quiet options.

Looks like its Piper or K Tec. Admitedly the Piper system looks nicer. How come it has two different length flanged sections - for Phase 1 and 2?

Phase 1 has a longer cat than a phase 2 which requires the shorter sleeve.

JimF

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Ah yep that makes sense then. I was confused and not paying attention whilst pretending to be working.

JimF

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Granted mines a 182 but this video is of my Piper with silenced mid section still in but decatted.

Not sure what @krarl and @Louis had/have fitted to theirs but may give you an idea on the slightly different sounds.

Mine and @Louis sound in perfect harmony on this video. You just have to ignore the silly man driving backwards in the oooo yep mobile and the oil chucking s3 😂

View attachment 1697035

Been listening to these in the car and they all sound great, especially the first one! But I think that may be the loudest?

Colin-S

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Piper is what you want, probably the best quality aftermarket stuff I've seen for a 172 - admittedly I've not seen a lot but I'm very happy with mine

I've got this exhaust on mine with both silencers! It's not much louder than the standard exhaust.

ADS_V6

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon
Got a silenced piper back on my 172 cup and sounds spot on. Pms unsilenced is too loud imo and much prefer the sound of piper to ktec. Excellent build quality aswell.

JimF

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Ah that's good to know. I had a Subaru that used to set off car alarms so I'm a bit paranoid.

Andy P

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172, i20N
@JimF If getting the Piper definitely get the one with the centre silencer.

I didn’t and ended up fitting one myself. Without it the exhaust was just too loud @ Motorway speeds.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member

View attachment 1697035
somthing badly worn in the front end of that Inferno, its pulling all over the road! Track rods/ends/bottom ball joints

JimF

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Defo think its a 2 box Piper when I change. I've just got to fix the perpetually broken power steering pump again.