ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Expensive job opinions please

HBT 172 Cup
You have 3 options.

1) Find a new bottom end and use your existing cylinder head
2) Replace the entire engine.
3) Rebuild your bottom end.

Advise against rebuilding bottom end as the crank will be mangled and grinding cranks usually doesnt always lead to good sucess. If your a novice, just get a complete engine and have it fitted. If your a bit of a spanner man have a go yourself. Its quite rare to find a bottom end for sale on its own, and even when there is, its a risky business buying one.

172 sport
SSo looks like its a new engine trouble in finding one is they are always bare may just break the car up and sit on the cash for a bit cheers for the advice mate.

Lionel Richie
with an engine included that quote of cira £1500 ain't far off TBH, (with new clutch, cambelt kit, aux kit, dephaser, fluids etc etc)

172 sport
Wow looks like best of breaking it up and getting something new cheers guys got a lot to think about this weekend on what to with car.

Difficult choice. In your position I would not be replacing the engine but it depends how much you like the car really, its condition etc.

You may get a few hundred quid for the car as it is on ebay, clearly stating the broken engine diagnosis. Probably the easiest way to cut your losses in my opinion. Breaking cars is a business in itself and would take up a lot of your time - tends to be done by those who would be readilly prepared to put a new engine in themselves.

172 sport
That's what I'm thinking mate brain is saying spares or repair on e bay cut my losses put it down to experience and my heart is saying don't give up on the old girl u wanted one for ages fix her up and taking it apart is not a option for me mate I ain't hot patience to to do it nor the mechanical mind it's a tough choice lol

Mk1 16v brooklands
Dude get an engine and fit it, cars gonna be worth f**k all how it is. And if u like it you wont wanna break it

Iceberg 172 Cup
Sounds similar if not the same as my old 182 does it not?

[video]http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v143/neonvtr/?action=view&current=20072008006.mp4&mediafilter=videos[/video]

it somehow scored the cams and tappets had just decided to give up in one turn of the key!

172 sport
It does sound exactly the Same mate what was your problem in the end and possible costs if u don't mind me asking been doing my nut over this all weekend.

Iceberg 172 Cup
It does sound exactly the Same mate what was your problem in the end and possible costs if u don't mind me asking been doing my nut over this all weekend.

Now, me and the mad scientist got to rip apart the block... and replace the piston rings you fried.

lol, well tbh i wasted alot of money on this car. I had the block/head stripped down once and replaced the cams as they were scored and a few of the hydraulic valve lifters, put it all back together and wala! it's still the same, stripped the head down a second time and found a few more hydraulic lifters at fault (gone squishy) replaced the rest and it was much better but still had the tick there, so i sold it to an Asian guy in Bradford.

Found it about 3 weeks ago for sale on eBay and messaged the seller as the car had covered doubl the miles since i sold it on. 33k - 67k. I asked her about the tapping and she said yes it does tap! So obviously wasn't major in the end but irritating to the degree i couldn't bear it.

Instead of wasting time and money, as said just stick a lump in, for you to even look into this will create huge fees because the rockers forms the cam carrier and so the cambelt has to come off....

hope this helps.

RB 182 cup
Hey mate, Im in the same boat as you, my engine is tapping away and sounds like its about to go bang, took it too Fred at the weekend and confirmed the engine has had it, so I'll be replacing the engine. I see it as I like my car too much to sell it for peanuts and spending the money on it isn't that bad if you plan on keeping the car like I do. Just got to wait for a 182 engine at a decent price to come up and then I'll be sending it Fred's way to fit it and do the clutch and cambelt too.

Iceberg 172 Cup
Hey mate, Im in the same boat as you, my engine is tapping away and sounds like its about to go bang, took it too Fred at the weekend and confirmed the engine has had it, so I'll be replacing the engine. I see it as I like my car too much to sell it for peanuts and spending the money on it isn't that bad if you plan on keeping the car like I do. Just got to wait for a 182 engine at a decent price to come up and then I'll be sending it Fred's way to fit it and do the clutch and cambelt too.

what is the reg of your rb 182 cup hope its not my old one. lol

HBT 172 Cup
you cant say that mate, not without stripping it down, look at mine, he had the exact same noise and my big ends were fine.

Ok, but without sounding rude, what help is wasting money on an engine stethescope going to be? He's still going to have to rip the engine apart regardless or what the fault is.

RB 182 cup
Mines BN05 VHD, got it from a mae of mine from down south, a few of them have owned it now down there haha, she gets around ;)....tbh though it was my own expensive mistake by not checking the oil regularly...which I have no learnt from.

Iceberg 172 Cup
Ok, but without sounding rude, what help is wasting money on an engine stethescope going to be? He's still going to have to rip the engine apart regardless or what the fault is.

because if we can narrow it down he isn't gonna go and purchase a new lump beforehand. may aswell just try and find out where the noise is going more directly before shelling out for a new engine before this one is even removed.

Iceberg 172 Cup
heres a good test for you, i think anyways, try removing each ht lead in time and see if the noise stops..... while the engine is running, but please make note of which which they go back on to.....

Mk1 16v brooklands
dude it bottom end failure now doubt about it really. look how many people have said theyve had the same

monaco blue clio 172
Went and seen this car for the op yesterday and to me it sounds like the pistons are making contact with the valves, Car seems very lethargic to rev and the more you rev it the worst is seems to be. Whats more worrying is there is a bill in the glove box for £££ for new valves timing belt kit etc from febuary and the bung in the block to pin the crank doest look like its ever been taken out

RS172
I was speaking to kris and was going to have a look but said it sounded like the piston hitting the head/valves

172 sport
cheers smokey for looking at it yesterday been a pleasure dealing with u and tony u been a star with ur advice via text mate cheers for all the help guys