ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

External hard drive for recording television

I've a Samsung smart TV and notice I can record programmes to an external hard drive connected to the rear.

I have pre historic Sky without a recording function so an external hard drive connected to the television could be a bonus for the rare occasion I may want to record a series or something.

Being a Samsung fan I am tempted to stick with the brand. Dabs have a 1tb @ £50.98 http://www.dabs.com/products/samsun...Hard Drives - External Hard Drives&origin=pla

I'm presuming that size would be adequate? If people with experience of saving TV to a hard drive could advise on file size that would be handy. I wouldn't want to keep episodes on there forever, just catch up on the odd show and take it to a friend for him to fill it with films ocassionally.

Fair comment. A 500gb version is about £13 cheaper but I think it's worth the extra to have the additional space should I ever need it to use it for one of my computers for example.

fulhamfcboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Laguna V6 and 19 16v
TBH all thats good for is pausing live TV. Any USB HD will work, but you can only record the channel your watching, and Im pretty sure it doesnt record if the TV is turned off either. Still worth doing for the pausing function though....

I've got the new Sony W range. Its got a satellite port which I've connected to the sky dish. I've just plugged in a 1tb into the USB, it will format so you may not be able to stick films on it. but after formatting you can record, pause etc. Works when the TVs off too. Buy the 1tb for the sake of £13

FF 182
I got an external hd for my new lg tv. 500gb is what i bought and recorded 5 films so far and hardly used any of the memory.

As said can't watch one channel and record another. However if you are out for the night or day you can record what you want with the tv off. I recorded one film on itv and one on bbc1 at different times as i was out for the day and they recorded fine

Perhaps I'll borrow one off a friend and see if it does what I'd expect. If it 'remembers' and records when the TV is off as your LG does - that'll do me.