ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

F.e.a.r. - Pc

Monaro VXR
not actually that hard to do. Plently of forums on it giving guides on how to do it shouldnt take that long either. But will save you £200+

Focus ST-2
might give it a try, nothing to lose, if it f***s up buy a new one lol. if i get a new motherboard ill have to try get one thats takes my ram. got 2 gig don't really want to spend money on that again.

Monaro VXR
Exactly, cant see the ram being much of a problem. Although if your gonna upgrade i do seriously recommend the DFI lanparty boards not only cause they look cool but just because there the best boards i've ever used used to buy gigabyte ones all the time and now this just has so many more features and better overclocking abilities etc.

Monaro VXR
Just cant see the point in letting people waste money that could be better spent on...the car! :D

Especially when it wont make much noticeable difference.

You'll do well to break the machine by overclocking. Worse case is you overcook it to the point where it wont boot, in which case you can just reset the CMOS.

If you just soft-OC your GFX card I'd recommend increasing your AGP voltage to 1.7v

You wont break your CPU/mobo by overclocking. As I said, the worst case scenario is restting the CMOS either by jumping it, or removing the battery for a few minutes while unplugged from the mains

Last edited:
Your RAM will OC as you increase the FSB, but you might need to play with the divider to keep your RAM in its window. If you just ramp up the FSB it will all go worng pretty quickly. I dont know if A64 CPUs let you play with the multiplier?

I woudnt recommend playing with this stuff while you're pissed BTW!!

Focus ST-2
my motherboard has this thing called easy overclock might try that lol, yeah they do, its bad enough trying it when your sober lol!

Monaro VXR
You can either play with the divider but ballistic ram should have some very low latencies if you ease them off a bit then you can overclock a fair bit.

Monaro VXR
Sure mate i can get from manchester to aberdeen in a few minutes. haha.

Its not too difficult to do plus you will learn a bit more about hardware while doing it. All i did when i learnt just decided one day id find out what things do.

Same way i learnt everything on a computer well apart form the stuff i did for 2 years on my degree before leaving to do automotive engineering. did 2 years of computer games technology decided i hated it and changed unis and courses.

Focus ST-2
ill put the kettle on lol! ill have a look this weekend, see what i can do, whats the best program for benchmarking? doing engineering as well like, but working at the same time. started in computer software development tho lol

Monaro VXR
I started in history then games tech and now engineering lol bit of a change about. I just want uni to let me loose with the porsche on the track. Im gonna love that day!

And benchmarking various ones, Aquamark3, 3dmark2001 3dmark 03 and 05 theres loads really.

Focus ST-2
sounds a lot more fun than designing bloody packers lol! engineering in oil is so bloody boring. sitting testing a packer right now, double time and a third tho :)

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Picked up Q4 yesterday guys - plays and looks shite on my default setup. Even worse than Doom 3, ironically. This will be a game that you need the best hardware for. Not Unreal 3 tech levels, but something like a 9800 Pro just doesn't cut-it.

The details I had to sacrifice in order for it to play smoothly made it look like an FPS game from around 2000-2001. It looked that awful. And another thing. It has the same random sound outage that happened on Doom 3 with my PC. I'm using the onboard nVidia audio. Every now and then, the audio just packs up - no sounds at all. It happens on just two games I own. Doom 3 and Quake 4. Hmmmmm. As soon as I quit to desktop, all the sound is fine again.

In other words - if you've got a decent PC, get it - it's well atmospheric. Those with PCs similar in spec to mine (3200+, 9800 Pro, nForce 2 Ultra mobo, 1GB RAM) either forget it, or be prepared to play it with a lot of the bells and whistles turned off.

D.

My setup can run Doom3 pretty much 60fps with the whole shooting match, so I reckon I should be able to get some good visuals going in Quake4. I'll have to buy it and find out I reckon.

Monaro VXR
Got a similar setup but doom3 ran rather well on my system was still around 40-60fps at 1024x768 with details on high.

Just make sure your not running it with AA or AF on. I dont think quake4 should be much more taxing its the same engine afterall.

Not a Clio
Roy Munson said:
Console FPS are not as good IMHO, mainly due to the controls. Halo on XBox was the exception for me. Also you just get far higher detail and resolution on a PC monitor, which makes everything seem far more real (for me). You are sitting quite close to the monitor and you are sucked into the game. I dont get that same feeling with 6ft of Ikea rug between me and the game on a relatively blurry and low resolution TV (even in RGB)

I totally agree... sitting that far from a screen takes everything out of the game play.

I've got my xbox hooked up to my 17" TFT running at 1280x1024 now and it's a hell of a lot more fun.

Does anyone know if F.E.A.R will be available on xbox?

Focus ST-2
See you roy i blame you just ordered a new graphics card and motherboard. will get another graphics card maybe after new year and run sli :)

BFG GeForce 7800 GTX OC 256MB GDDR3 VIVO TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail (GX-009-BG)
- Core clock 460MHz
- 24 Pixel Pipelines
- 1300MHz+ GDDR3 Ultra Fast Memory
- 256-Bit Memory interface
- 8 Vertex Shaders
- Memory Bandwidth - 38.4GB/sec
- Fill Rate - 10.32 billion pixels/sec
- Next-generation superscalar GPU architecture
- NVIDIA® CineFX™ 4.0 engine
- 64-bit floating point texture filtering and blending
- NVIDIA® SLI™ Ready (NVIDIA SLI-certified versions of GeForce 7800 GTX only)
- NVIDIA® Intellisample™ 4.0 technology
- NVIDIA® PureVideo™ technology
- NVIDIA® ForceWare™ Unified Driver Architecture
- NVIDIA® nView® multi-display technology
- Microsoft® DirectX® 9.0 Shader Model 3.0 support
- OpenGL® 2.0 support
- Single card requires min. 400W PSU
- SLI configuration requires min. 500W PSU
- BFG T-Shirt
- BFG Teflon Mouse Pads (Improve performance of your mouse)
- BFG GameDrive 9.0 (Play your games without the CD)

DFI LanParty NF4 SLI-DR (Socket 939) PCI-Express Motherboard (MB-011-DF)
Keeping the signature UV-reactive components on board, the UT series aims to please with its rich feature set and outstanding price per performance. Understanding the needs for a versatile hardware platform, this series caters to enthusiasts who are on the cutting edge of technology while still wishing to take advantage of mature standards the industry currently offers. Available in both Intel ® and AMD ® platforms, the LANParty UT series offers a wide range of motherboards to choose from.

- SLi graphics card bridge
- Karajan Audio(Theater like7.1 /8ch supported)
- Dual Gigabit LAN
- nF4 chipset supported Serial ATA(3Gb/s)
- 100% Japanese Capacitors
- UV sensitive slots
- UV kits (Round Cables & Cable sleeving bundled)
- New FrontX panel
- PC Transpo
- EZ-on / EZ-touch onboard switch button
- RAID (with nVIDIA nVRAID)
- nVIDIA nTune (embedded overclocking solution)
- nVIDIA ActiveArmor (Embedded hardware firewall & network solution)
- CMOS reloaded®
- All New Genie BIOS

Monaro VXR
some good parts you got there. But dont expect a massive increase in abilities but least you can prolly sell your old parts off to get some costs back although wont be much.

Focus ST-2
keeping the old bits, going to put them in another computer like and network them. and anyway should have been able to still get a decent price for the graphics card, still expensive to buy new.

Yaris Hybrid
If FEAR does come out on Xbox it will be on the 360.

Personally I won't upgrade my PC until I know the new machine will get at least double the score in benchmarks. That has always been my policy. Now that consoles are moving into hi-def and I will be using the 360 and PC on the same screen at its maximum resolution I am not sure if I will contine with PC gaming. Might just ditch my old laptop and PC and buy one decent laptop to save space.

Trouble is I will miss games like HL2, CS and BF. They do come out on consoles but always after a year or so and they can't host the same number of players in online games.

Monaro VXR
Also using a joypad instead of a keyboard and mouse is a total b**ch to play fps games on.

Its just hell trying to play games on pads i find.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
wozzaa said:
Also using a joypad instead of a keyboard and mouse is a total b*tch to play fps games on.

Its just hell trying to play games on pads i find.

It's funny. I know of a few console owners who turn their nose-up at PCs for games - FPS games especially. Once they've tried a decent mouse & keyboard combo, they soon change their minds. :cool:

Undoubtedly, there are some talented gamepad users on consoles, but they aren't a patch on a true combination inputs with PCs on FPS games. You just can't get the same amount of smoothness, accuracy and overall control with a gamepad. Gamepads are for Tekken - and not much else.... :clown:

Battlefield 2 using a gamepad? Pah!

D.

Yaris Hybrid
I can't stand using a pad for fps's, it totally does my head in.

My bro though is a big console fan and when he got a PC I tried to get him into CS and Battlefield. All he did was moan non stop about how bad the keyboard and mouse controls were. When we were on Xbox Live playing Rainbow Six he was talking about it and all the other console boys said they had tried it on the PC and couldn't stand it either.

Monaro VXR
I only really play driving games and beatem up type games on consoles. It damn near impossible to play FPS's properly on a joypad you cant do reflex headshots when you see someone the same. And well i like ot see peoples heads go pop when i shoot at them.

Lee

BMW M2C
Finally started playing it at lunch time today.

Runs nicely in High detail mode, lots of nice particle effects, eerie music and sound effects and nice lighting effects.

So far, very Half Life 2 in terms of the pace of the gameplay, lots of exploring interspersed with manic shoot the s**t out of everyone moments, which is just what I like.

I'll have to rush through this though so I can get on with Doom 3 Resurrection of Evil, Quake 4 and Call of Duty 2.