ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

F4r ticking.

Right guys, I am after a bit of help. My engine ticks, sounds very tappety and is annoying me to hell!

It definitely isn't the carbon canister as I disconnected that and it still makes the noise.

It doesn't sound rattley like a dephaser does.

The ticking increases with engine speed and does not disaspear at any revs (as far as I can tell).

It seems worse when warm.

Any thoughts?

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Mine does too, but just assumed it's cos it's an old French car? How tappety are these engines?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
If its not the plugs I'd hazard a guess at the timing belt tensioner being incorrectly set.

HBT 172 Cup
Mine is a rather ticky engine too, compares to my mates 182 anyway. Was the same before i blew it up and is the same after i rebuilt it.

clio 182 cup
when i worked at rover , we used to do alot of hydrolic tappets, for being noisey, usualy just one would loose the ability to hold its oil , and would bounce around , making an awful noise, cos we werent magicians, we coulnd really pinpoint which one it was, so we used to replace the lot. it woulnd really do any damage, but it did sound abit rum for a 1 to 3 year old car!!

Clio 182 FF
Mine is doing exactly he same.I've checked the plugs and deffo not the dephaser any ideas what else it could be?

I've been told tappets but from what I've seen they never go on the F4R

From what I read on here, most 'ticking' symptoms tend to be caused by the carbon cannister.

Does the noise sound like its coming from the drivers side wheel arch? If so that could be your problem.

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
From what I read on here, most 'ticking' symptoms tend to be caused by the carbon cannister.

Does the noise sound like its coming from the drivers side wheel arch? If so that could be your problem.

This sounds like mine.

Is there a quick fix ?

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Out of interest, this was mine:

Tappets.

Last edited by a moderator:
  UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
If you want a full set I've still got mine brand new unopened from Engine Dynamics. Give me a shout, £130 (saving you £50 or over £200 should you go to Renault).