ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Failed MOT on silencer removed ?

197 black 57 plate
I see a lot of people have had there Center silencer removed on here so I've booked mine in to be removed also but just before it gets done , has anyone had there car fail an MOT due to having this removed , I'm keeping the cat on by the way .cheers

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
IF it's too loud,
MOT manual section 7.4.1
A silencer in such condition, or of such a type, that the noise emitted from the vehicle is clearly unreasonably above the level expected from a standard silencer in good condition.

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
IF it's too loud,
MOT manual section 7.4.1
A silencer in such condition, or of such a type, that the noise emitted from the vehicle is clearly unreasonably above the level expected from a standard silencer in good condition.
Exactly, if you're deafening the whole workshop as they emissions test, you might get a fail.

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
It depends on who's looking at it, I suppose a Vosa inspector would probably give you an Inpection notice demanding it be corrected within seven days and presented for removal of inspection notice at a Mot test station,
But whats the chances of that.

197 black 57 plate
Cheers guys for the comments , I'm going ahead and getting it removed , I want it a little louder but nothing to loud , I've tried looking at vids on YouTube of clios with this done but can only find ones of people ragging the sh@t out of them so obviously there gonna be loud but myself I don't tend to drive like that so can't really tell if I'm going to like it but that's the chance I'm going to have to take

Clio 197
Anything over 3000 rpm around town can get loud enough to not be able to hold a conversation but on the motorways its fine. The difference is like night and day

Clio 197
If you don't rag it around its just a little louder which is good. But a lot louder once you're on WOT. I got it done two days after I bought the car and don't regret it. But the flatspot is something you should know about before you get it done. I can't comment on if mine had one beforehand as I got the mod done pretty quickly, but there is a flatspot around 2500-3000 rpm if you floor it

197 black 57 plate
I'm getting it mapped straight after its taken off so they will get rid of the flat spot for me . And call me stupid but what do u mean by "WOT"

Clio 197
Ah then you don't need to worry about anything apart from grinning too much once its done! Wide Open Throttle (WOT) or pedal to the metal