ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

FAO: ICE Guru's - Help required with new kit...

1 Series Coupe
Hi,

I am after a good quality sound stystem for my 182. I would like good front components, and a sub.

I want to go for sound quality over ear bleeding.

I have narrowed it down to 2 subs. Same make, difference sizes:

8" JL Audio and 10" JL Audio

From my old Clio install, I've already got a headunit, 1 Alpine Mono amp, 1 Kenwood 4 channel amp.

I will use the Alpine amp on the new sub and the kenwood on the fronts - this will also give me some room to get some rears if i feel i need them.

So, down to the ICE Guru's... Which JL audio sub? Which components do you reccomend.

Many Thanks

Matt

Where are you in Essex?

I know somewhere you could have a listen of one of those 10s ;)

And, with two different boxes available, you can compare the difference between them to see how much difference a box makes :)

I'd go for the 10" myself as it's still well tight but will drop a bit lower than the 8", generally speaking. The JLs will also take more power than they're rated at :evil:

The W3 is also a newer, better model than the W0!

1 Series Coupe
Where are you in Essex?

I know somewhere you could have a listen of one of those 10s ;)

And, with two different boxes available, you can compare the difference between them to see how much difference a box makes :)

I'd go for the 10" myself as it's still well tight but will drop a bit lower than the 8", generally speaking. The JLs will also take more power than they're rated at :evil:

The W3 is also a newer, better model than the W0!

I'm in Chelmsford!

10" imo,will get a wider frequency range than the 8" but would be better for dance music than the 10" although i would go for the 10" as a compromise

what wrms are the channels on the kenwood amp?cant recommend any comps without knowing really

1 Series Coupe
10" imo,will get a wider frequency range than the 8" but would be better for dance music than the 10" although i would go for the 10" as a compromise

what wrms are the channels on the kenwood amp?cant recommend any comps without knowing really

The 4 channel amp is this one
The mono is this one

I have just found these??

Will that mono amp run at 2Ohm or will it die? lol

If it only runs at 4Ohm then look into getting the 10w3v2-D2 as you can then run the coils in series and show it 4Ohm.

If you get the 10w3v2-D4 then you'll have to run the coils in parallel and show the amp 2Ohm unless you want to show it 8Ohm and have no power lol

re: comps, Rainbow are generally very good iirc. Might be worth a search on TalkAudio to see if anyone's posted good/bad opinions!

I wouldn't necessarily bother with the rear speakers though - good pair of front comps and a sub and you can still get a good soundstage, plus you won't deafen your rear passengers when you turn it up lol

Focus RS Mk1
£200 on front comps if a lot of cash. ask yourself this question first:

will you (you personally) notice the difference between a £220 set of comps or a £120 set of comps?

for me personally i wouldnt no...maybe if the two were played back to front within minutes of hearing the two sets maybe...yes.

i was in this same dilema mate, do i spent lots on this type of thing...in the end i went with a £120 set of rainbows...bearing in mind im running a graphic equaliser too.

BUt that £100 could be put into something a whole lot more noticeable!

Focus RS Mk1
oops, said back to fron i meant back to back! :(

agree with the above statement also.

ive just spent £45 on accessories on my system, proper terminals for ALL the wiring...all crimped properly and heat shrinked. no dodgy twisted and taped up joins!

speakers mounted on baffles with dynamatt to seal them this is the kind of thing that youd be better off spending £100 on rather than more expensive speakers...

common sense to me!

id put money on a well installed cheaper speaker being "better" than one just slapped in thats more expensive!

Focus RS Mk1
steal :) follow the advice given above regards proper fitting and decent connections etc and you'l be dead pleased with them.

good luck

Black Gold Trophy
these are a very good speaker for those on a budget
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PHOENIX-GOLD-...2276107QQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116
They used to be about £200 a set, now available for £50! I just fitted a set in my mates 182, sound great (even powered by the standard head unit). The greatest thing is they also fit behind the standard grilles.

I put a set of rainbow SLC230 in my 182, and amped them, they hardly sound any better than the phoenix golds if I'm honest and they cost £170 and I paid £120 for my genesis amp to power them!