ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

FAO ppl with Vista!

I'll make it quick. Thinking of giving it a try.. But first, could you tell me :

• Your comp specs?
  • What problems (if any) have you come accross?
  • Would you recommend it, or would you wait a while?

Thanks!

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
basic specs

p4 3.0ghz ht
1gb ram
300gb hdd

very slow, especialy once i found some AV and firewall that was decent and actually worked!

crashed on the first app i installed and i had to do a system restore.

found out a fair few apps werent compatible.

i would seriously wait a while before using it as a sole OS!

i went back to a 3 year old xp pro build and it is much better!

Mixed feelings then. I guess its one of those things i'll have to try out for myself to see if it works ok. New hard drive will be here tomorrow so thought i'd give it an install to see what its like.

Was also toying with the idea of linux, but i just know it will end in tears, as it always does. :dapprove:

• Your comp specs?

Apple Macbook Pro
    2.0GHz CoreDuo
    2GB RAM
    ATI Radeon 1600 128MB

• What problems (if any) have you come accross?

Only things related to me running it on a Mac (Silly key bindings, lack of on screen display stuff, but thats set to be fixed I guess.
    Certainly ran very quick etc..
    I've also run it on an Athlon64 3000+, 1GB RAM and a Radeon 9550 and it also ran fine on that.

• Would you recommend it, or would you wait a while?

It's OK, but I went back to OSX, as, um, OSX owns it ;). Seriously tho, if I had a none-Mac laptop, I'd definetly be running it.. (providing the laptop was to a similar spec as my MBP.

Not a Clio
Mixed feelings then. I guess its one of those things i'll have to try out for myself to see if it works ok. New hard drive will be here tomorrow so thought i'd give it an install to see what its like.

Was also toying with the idea of linux, but i just know it will end in tears, as it always does. :dapprove:

If you're unlucky and have problems with your Linux install then it just means you need to put a little effort in ;)

If you're unlucky and have problems with your Linux install then it just means you need to put a little effort in ;)

Which is the problem.
As a Linux user for years and years (and still on servers but then, it's perfect for that as all the apps are really mature), I'm at the point where I want my laptop and PCs to just work.. Heh. So I use OSX (Or Vista!).

Gone are the days where I was writing a script to connect to the wireless network whereever I was.. altho, it worked.. it's not clicking on airport and selecting the network :p
Just things like that..
Everything on the Linux desktop is "nearly there" so their is always a better app in something else.

Anyway, rant over :p

Not a Clio
Seen enough posts about it yeah, but luckily life isn't that difficult for me, stuff just works :rasp:

I guess I unconsciously built a Linux friendly system, years before even trying Linux!

2.0ghz p4 compaq evo laptop
1gb RAM
80gb hdd.

Ubuntu runs fine ;) Fookin quick imo compared to the dog of a beta test version of Vista I used.

cock mobile.
Sony Laptop - BX2 series.

Have run it for about 6 months now running Business edt.

The biggest problem is the crappy wireless, it doesn't seem as reliable as XP Pro was.

Frankly I'm not that keen, the only reason I use it is so I am clued up ahead of the curve.

Does have nice features and if I was buying a new PC I probably would stick with it, it will get better.

Audi TT 225
P4 3.0 GHz with 1GB DDR,, Geforce 5900 ultra 256, 200Gig SATA. Runs fine, looks amazing but be prepared for niggles. Driver support for older devices sucks so make sure your hardwares compatable before hand although you can install XP drivers but no guarantee they'll work. Some stuff that runs quite well on XP doesn't want to know on Vista so be aware!

lol, true. Ive tried it a few times, and just couldnt get to grips with it. But ive been using windows since i was a nipper so its a shock to the system havin to do things the long way round. I think i will probably just stick with windows xp/vista or my main comp, and try linux on my other comp sitting next to me.

As for linux, do you know any decent websites that go through the bare basics of things, ie, installing stuff, lol.

Thanks

P4 3.0 GHz with 1GB DDR,, Geforce 5900 ultra 256, 200Gig SATA. Runs fine, looks amazing but be prepared for niggles. Driver support for older devices sucks so make sure your hardwares compatable before hand although you can install XP drivers but no guarantee they'll work. Some stuff that runs quite well on XP doesn't want to know on Vista so be aware!

Hmmmm... I'm very tempted to give it a go now, as i shouldn't really have any driver issues (fingers crossed) as all my hardware is up to date.

Another question: What games don't seem to work, is it a particular type (like all half life 1 engine games, for example) or does it seem to be random?!?

Cheers.

Not a Clio

lol, true. Ive tried it a few times, and just couldnt get to grips with it. But ive been using windows since i was a nipper so its a shock to the system havin to do things the long way round. I think i will probably just stick with windows xp/vista or my main comp, and try linux on my other comp sitting next to me.

As for linux, do you know any decent websites that go through the bare basics of things, ie, installing stuff, lol.

Thanks

If you choose Ubuntu to try then I can give you the Ubuntu Bible in PDF format. Just let me know and I'll upload it for you. It's 22MB zipped and 44MB unzipped.

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
unless you have a need for linux i dont see the point in bothering really.

I have tried it about 5 times now, the las being ubuntu, and everytime it has failed in one way or another!

ununtu worked ok, but it wouldnt work with my wifi card in my laptop. probably down to manufacturers drivers not being available but still.

iv weighed it up a few times and cant see how it would benefit me over xp with what i need a pc for! :)

Not a Clio
I agree, don't just try it because you keep seeing it mentioned.

Try Linux because you want to replace Windows.

A happy Windows user won't want to put any effort in, they just want to see what the fuss is about.

BMW M135i
Got it on a few with mixed results.

Main PC:
XP3700+
1gb Ram
NForce4 SLi Chipset
Nvidia 6600GT

Works perfectly no problems whatsoever to speak of. Nvidias driver support could be better though.

Spare PC:
XP3000+
512mb Ram
Via KT800 Pro Chipset
Radeon 9600 Pro

Again nothing to really speak of, via's driver support is spot on as is ATi's. 512mb of ram is the only thing letting it down.

MCE PC:
Sempron 3000+
1gb
Via KT800M Chipset
Radeon 9800 Pro

A good few wierd niggles which i've come down to the conclusion is down to the older hardware even though with pretty much the same chipset in the spare pc it works fine. Randomly won't come out of standby, theres no audio drivers for the M-Audio card I had in it and the onboard soundmax sound isn't supported either. And the creative card i've had to use randomly decideds not to work too. Brill.
Got an AM2 setup ready to replace this when I can be arsed to chuck it all together.

All in from what I see it seems to come down to the driver support mainly because when I tried it on my HP laptop (not officially vista supported) using windows drivers only I haven't had any problems despite it not being officially supported as vista compatible by HP.

Thanks

If you choose Ubuntu to try then I can give you the Ubuntu Bible in PDF format. Just let me know and I'll upload it for you. It's 22MB zipped and 44MB unzipped.

Yeah that would be great mate, much apreciated. I downloaded ubuntu the other night so thats good :D

unless you have a need for linux i dont see the point in bothering really.

I have tried it about 5 times now, the las being ubuntu, and everytime it has failed in one way or another!

ununtu worked ok, but it wouldnt work with my wifi card in my laptop. probably down to manufacturers drivers not being available but still.

iv weighed it up a few times and cant see how it would benefit me over xp with what i need a pc for! :)

I know what you mean, but ive been wanting to give it a proper go for ages now, and now i have two comps in my room next to each other i can give it a proper go, without having to touch anything on my main computer. Does'nt hurt to give it a try :D

I agree, don't just try it because you keep seeing it mentioned.

Try Linux because you want to replace Windows.

A happy Windows user won't want to put any effort in, they just want to see what the fuss is about.

Hmmm... i spose you could say im happy with windows, but ive been wanting something different for ages. Hoping to give it a proper go this time round.

Got it on a few with mixed results.

Main PC:
XP3700+
1gb Ram
NForce4 SLi Chipset
Nvidia 6600GT

Works perfectly no problems whatsoever to speak of. Nvidias driver support could be better though.

Spare PC:
XP3000+
512mb Ram
Via KT800 Pro Chipset
Radeon 9600 Pro

Again nothing to really speak of, via's driver support is spot on as is ATi's. 512mb of ram is the only thing letting it down.

MCE PC:
Sempron 3000+
1gb
Via KT800M Chipset
Radeon 9800 Pro

A good few wierd niggles which i've come down to the conclusion is down to the older hardware even though with pretty much the same chipset in the spare pc it works fine. Randomly won't come out of standby, theres no audio drivers for the M-Audio card I had in it and the onboard soundmax sound isn't supported either. And the creative card i've had to use randomly decideds not to work too. Brill.
Got an AM2 setup ready to replace this when I can be arsed to chuck it all together.

All in from what I see it seems to come down to the driver support mainly because when I tried it on my HP laptop (not officially vista supported) using windows drivers only I haven't had any problems despite it not being officially supported as vista compatible by HP.

Cheers fella! I defo think i'll give it a try now, just wanna find out about the game side of things.

Leon Cupra
My spec:

Intel Core2Duo E6600
Gigabyte DS4 Mobo
Nvidia 8800GTS gfx card
2 HDD's in raid0

Only prob ive had is that my old antivirus and version of nero didn't work with vista but i just downloaded the new versions and everything was fine.

A lot of people seem to recon its a load of crap and not to touch it at any costs but ive had no significant problems so far. And i love to have anything that's new and shiny:D.

My spec:

Intel Core2Duo E6600
Gigabyte DS4 Mobo
Nvidia 8800GTS gfx card
2 HDD's in raid0

Only prob ive had is that my old antivirus and version of nero didn't work with vista but i just downloaded the new versions and everything was fine.

A lot of people seem to recon its a load of crap and not to touch it at any costs but ive had no significant problems so far. And i love to have anything that's new and shiny:D.

What anti-virus do you use?

I use nod32 at the moment, been using it for over a year, but im not on the most up to date version, as when i tried that it seemed to take quite a lot more resources than the old version, even though my comp can easily handle this, just annoys me, lol.

And as for people sayin vista is s**t and not ready for the public, well isnt this down the the hardware manufacturers not being ready, by releasing up to date drivers?

Leon Cupra
My spec:

Intel Core2Duo E6600
Gigabyte DS4 Mobo
Nvidia 8800GTS gfx card
2 HDD's in raid0

What anti-virus do you use?

I use nod32 at the moment, been using it for over a year, but im not on the most up to date version, as when i tried that it seemed to take quite a lot more resources than the old version, even though my comp can easily handle this, just annoys me, lol.

And as for people sayin vista is s**t and not ready for the public, well isnt this down the the hardware manufacturers not being ready, by releasing up to date drivers?

i was using norton antivirus 2006 and ive now changed to avast which seems to do the job.

the only drivers i had to download were for my Epson 220 and my Nvidia 8800 vista sorted the rest of my hardware with its drivers

In the process of installing ubuntu on my other comp... clever how it actually boots up the OS from disk, and you can choose to install it from there :D

Ohhhhhhh!! Installed Vista Ultimate earlier on this evening after debating about it for ages. Installed a lot quicker than i expected. Booted up, and :D :D Looks cool - and thats before i found out that by default it had used Vista default visual style, after installing graphics drivers and changing it to Aero, it looks great. Had a weird thing with sound drivers. I downloaded latest sound drivers, and installed them, then rebooted. The sound control panel showed in the system tray, and it had also detected what was plugged into the sound card, but windows wouldnt detect any sound device. But after reinstalling the drivers again it seemed to sort itself out.

Next up i went into msconfig and got rid of a load of services and startup items. I was suprised at how many processes run after a fresh isntall, but manage to dump a dozen so wasnt to bad really.

Then my mate turned up and we had a blast on CS1.6. I connected to a server and instantly it didn't feel right, i messed about with settings for a good 30 mins and decided that it wasnt going to get any better. I also tried a few different servers and it seemed to be the same on each. Was a little disapointed at that as thats probably the only game i play. Although i hardly play it anymore, i was still debating whether to go back to XP, but after some thought realised I'd only end up putting Vista back on sooner or later so kept it. Then later on i had a 5 mins go on CS again and it was completely fine....

Anyway, just isntalling stuff at the moment, and finding out a few applications i used to use arnt yet compatible with Vista, but no big deal really.

Ive also been tweakin bits and bobs really, but i can't see anywhere to change the File > Save dialog box thing...

untitledzz3.jpg

Is there a setting that makes it show "Browse Folders" by default. My first thought was that it would save the preference automatically after i clicked it for the first time, but it seems its random. Sometimes folders will show, and other times they wont. I want them to show automatically all the time. Any Ideas?

Thanks

BMW M135i
After i've used the drop down box once its shows up every time now. I had the "do I go back to XP" debate with myself as well but i've decided to stick with it and i'm loving it even more now. Definetly a step in the right direction, will be great once driver support fully catches up.

And feel privledged for actually having proper vista sound drivers (*cough*nvidia*cough*).

^haha. Think im gonna stick with it now, it does look nice :D Does seem to take forever to shut down sometimes though..

And my sounds fine at the moment :D this comp is running a gigabyte motherboard with some HD on board sound card :rasp: Its running good tho.

I also had a silly moment with the system rating thing, it was stuck on 1, so i clicked on it to show more info, and the only thing that was on one was my graphics card, and i was playing about for 15 mins tryin to figure out why it was only 1, tried reinstalling drivers too..... I then found out that you have to manually refresh it :clown: :clown: It must have set to one before i had installed my graphics drivers.

Does anyone have a list of Services that are safe to disable?

:)

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Which is the problem.
As a Linux user for years and years (and still on servers but then, it's perfect for that as all the apps are really mature), I'm at the point where I want my laptop and PCs to just work.. Heh. So I use OSX (Or Vista!).

Gone are the days where I was writing a script to connect to the wireless network whereever I was.. altho, it worked.. it's not clicking on airport and selecting the network :p
Just things like that..
Everything on the Linux desktop is "nearly there" so their is always a better app in something else.

Anyway, rant over :p

NetworkManager... duh..

fook writing scripts..

Nippy white cup
I'm looking at buying a Laptop in the next few months and was worried about the whole vista is crap thing. Sounds like it is a case of you only hear the bad reports so I guess I'll just get on and see how it goes lol

Chris

182 Trophy
I think it's really good. I've got the 64bit home premium edition, running on Pentium D 3.2ghz, 2gb RAM and a brand new DirectX 10 Nvidia 8800 ACS3. Runs a lot faster than XP pro did...Also looks a lot nicer.

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
'im runnign it on a laptop before my actual machine. dual core 1.8g 1g ram 40gig hard drive. vista ultimate, runs like a dream, everything works perfectly, although i think the laptop was 'vista ready' so prbably helped, but honeslty, it's really slick and i'm not finding it slow at all...i'm running symantec co-orporate hehehe

Lee

BMW M2C
Athlon 64 4800
2gb Corsair DDR
ATI Chipset Crossfire motherboard
500gb SATA
120gb SATA
80gb PATA
250gb SATA
Crossfired ATI X1900XTX
Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS

I've been running Ultimate Edition x64 for a while now with no serious problems. There's the odd quirk to work around but nothing to stop me working. Photoshop Elements has issues so I swapped to CS2. All the Windows Server 2003 Admin tools work fine. There's a few printer drivers I could do with but that's not an issue as I have drivers for other printers.

Games so far have all worked fine. I'm currently playing S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

AV is McAfee Total Protection for Small Business

My old man as the basic home edition running on this:
Nvidia Nforce 2 mobo
Athlon XP 2600
1gb Corsair DDR
80gb SATA
On board sound

He's not had any problems at all and it runs fairly quickly. All his old C & C games work as does the latest. He's currently running free AVG AV software.

All in all I'm really impressed with how few problems I've had with it. XP was a nightmare for ages when it first hit the shelves.

Astra CDTI SRI
Athlon 64 4800
2gb Corsair DDR
500gb SATA
120gb SATA
80gb PATA
250gb SATA
Crossfired ATI X1900XTX

Lee, did you just use the vista drivers for your sound card or did you download creative's one?

I just get wired pops and squeaks when I try and use it in 5.1.

Did you have any issues?

Astra CDTI SRI
P4 3.2 Ghz
2GB Ram
ATI 9800XT AGP (I think)
120 GB SATA
200 GB SATA
80 GB PATA
Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS

Runs fine, very smooth and boots up nice and fast.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
its ok. too much tho, too 'pretty'. prefer XP.

i got it on my GFs comp. the internet keeps bl00dy crashin and disconecting! especially when p2p'ing.

Lee

BMW M2C
Athlon 64 4800
2gb Corsair DDR
500gb SATA
120gb SATA
80gb PATA
250gb SATA
Crossfired ATI X1900XTX

Lee, did you just use the vista drivers for your sound card or did you download creative's one?

I just get wired pops and squeaks when I try and use it in 5.1.

Did you have any issues?

I downloaded the latest ones. In fact I did that for pretty much everything.

I was amazed that the sound card worked. Creative are pathetic for driver support at the best of times. I remember how long it took them to get some proper drivers for Live cards under 2000!

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
yeah i'm a bit worried about that too. i have the audigy fatality card thing....