ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Faster Acceleration

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Torque curve dependant really.

If you meant a diesel rather than the 197 this thread is on about then yes, but the 197 torque curve is practically flat and as such you gain mechanical advantage from revving the hell out of it, so trust me the top end of the revs is where you need to be in order to accelerate quickly in one!

Listerine & Poledo
although a big gulg of mid-range wouldn't hurt.

maybe something like a crank-driven, cyclic compressor ;)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
although a big gulg of mid-range wouldn't hurt.

maybe something like a crank-driven, cyclic compressor ;)

The compression ratio on a 197 doesnt lend itself well to a supercharger targetted at the midrange such as a displacement type compressor (Eaton M62 etc) you will end up having to pull so much timing out that EGT's will go through the roof, it would be better suited to a centrifugal type compressor which works best at the top end.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I feel like we've been Ricktrolled in this thread.

Listerine & Poledo
The compression ratio on a 197 doesnt lend itself well to a supercharger targetted at the midrange such as a displacement type compressor (Eaton M62 etc) you will end up having to pull so much timing out that EGT's will go through the roof, it would be better suited to a centrifugal type compressor which works best at the top end.

This is something I've wondered about, can you get a "proper" blower (i.e. not a turbo) that can work at high revs but not be completely useless in the lower range?
Of course, VAG are twin-charging to take the drain off the crank ASAP, but do twin-screw set-ups mean you can tailor the compressors to work over different ranges?

No trawling, pure question.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
This is something I've wondered about, can you get a "proper" blower (i.e. not a turbo) that can work at high revs but not be completely useless in the lower range?
Of course, VAG are twin-charging to take the drain off the crank ASAP, but do twin-screw set-ups mean you can tailor the compressors to work over different ranges?

No trawling, pure question.

Yes with compound charging you can achieve that, or if its only moderate increases in power you are looking for then a single turbo would be sufficient which is why they are so commonly used by the manufacturers in the first place.

Ultimately though, if you want big torque at low rpm, you need either a bigger displacement engine, or you need low compression and big boost, and then that tends to not lend itself so well to the top end of the rev range (a boosted motor at 8krpm doesnt want to be anywhere near as low comp as you would want if trying to get 250lbft per litre at 4Krpm for example)

As with most things engine related, it will end up a compromise.