ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Faulty Trip Computer

I think I have a problem with my trip computer as it will not show me my actual fuel consumption, only my average for the journey. The manual says that it should be able to do this, is it faulty or is this not available on the 172 sport? I also have a clunk on full lock on right hand turns, and a vibrating coming from the interior light area, is this what I get for buying Renault ?

Yep all Renaults have a long list of common problems.

The clunk on full lock is a common problem cannot remember what the answer is I think its somehting to do with some mount but have search should dig something up.

What do you mean by it only showing you your adverage what were you looking for an instant MPG reading? The 172 have the same trip as the sport Clios I belive and so only an adverage MPG reading is possible.

A vibration from around the interious light. Well No idea its probably another one of the Clio rattles either turn the stereo up or hit it and see if it goes away.

Renault delaerships seem usless at fixing the Clios problem with rattling. You just seem to have to accept it and enjoy everything else about the car.

EDD

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Ye im pretty sure the manual says that you can get instant mpg reading, but the fact is you cant, you can reset the mpg counter and after 0.3 miles it will show up the mpg again, which is sorta instant mpg heh.

The interior light buzzing is, i believe, the climate control temperature sensor fan running. Cant do much about it, iim afraid. After 18 months, I dont hear it anymore - I have WAY to many other rattles drowning it out!!!

On a similar note about trip computers, mine has now decided to reset itself every day, overnight. get up in the morning and it says I have done 0mpg, 0 miles, etc etc etc. Shame it doesnt affect the normal mileometer.

I really wish renault had gotten their act together with build quality etc etc. i know its not a bmw or merc, but I still expect the bits on my car to work properly and reliably.

Ill be half-way thru my HP term next december, and the law says I can then give my car back with no penalties... Will hate to see it go - i love the looks, performance, the clio-aura etc etc etc but I want a quality car that doesnt sound like a 10-year-old car a week after i bought it.

/rant off

Face

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member

My 172mk2 has had a modifacation done to the suspsion to stop it clunking on full lock. they changed both bearings and shocks on the front! Very Very common fault with 172s

so far....

new clucth

new mesh on gear box

rebuilt gear box

power steering pump + pipes replaced

leaking windscreen replaced, + damaged interior from water leak

new speed reader thingy

suspion mods

trim around wheel arch

new water jets (light jets)

resprayed front bumber due to water from the jets leaking down the bumber causing a cannel effect

electric motor in mirror

and last of all a new exhaust..............

So u really ave to luv it to put up with this sh*t!

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member

p.s my tripcomputer now resets it self every time i it start up,

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

Quote: Originally posted by edde on 13 December 2003

Yep all Renaults have a long list of common problems.

The clunk on full lock is a common problem cannot remember what the answer is I think its somehting to do with some mount but have search should dig something up.

What do you mean by it only showing you your adverage what were you looking for an instant MPG reading? The 172 have the same trip as the sport Clios I belive and so only an adverage MPG reading is possible.

A vibration from around the interious light. Well No idea its probably another one of the Clio rattles either turn the stereo up or hit it and see if it goes away.

Renault delaerships seem usless at fixing the Clios problem with rattling. You just seem to have to accept it and enjoy everything else about the car.

EDD
The vibration from the interior light for me was the climate sensor.

Just where your light is theres a small group of holes which takes air in and measures your temp,mine started to buzz and steadily got worse.Took it to renault and it was a bearing in this unit that was knackered.Take it to the dealer coz it will only get worse.

Regards,ian

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Ruv172 on 13 December 2003

I think I have a problem with my trip computer as it will not show me my actual fuel consumption, only my average for the journey. The manual says that it should be able to do this, is it faulty or is this not available on the 172 sport?
You cant get the instantaneous fuel consumption on my Cup or any of the 172s I know, even though it does show it in the manaul, so must not be available on our cars...

What is an instantaneous read out anyway?

I reset mine before a journey the other day and watched it fluctuate as I drove on a dual carriageway. Managed to get to 40mpg. It would drop as I pushed the accelerator more so does that count as instantaneous?

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

the trip computer works out the average mpg from since it was last reset.the mpg is an average figure not a instant one.when you reset it you will need to do a fair few miles before the reading you get is accurate.

Quote: Originally posted by Ant1 on 13 December 2003

p.s my tripcomputer now resets it self every time i it start up,
Mines doing this at the moment as well. Been into the garage last week, they replaced/repositioned the earth wire, but still doing it. In again this week for a new instrument panel I feel... :(