ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Festival of Speed

A few from the FoS today, first time at a big event with my little Fuji gear, can't believe how much easier it made things, particularly in the heat. Cracking day as always, but the Friday has lost its 'enthusiasts' charm, it's essentially just another madly busy day now (compared to a few years ago even)...

9272157184_d562d51434_c.jpg

Goodwood Festival of Speed 2013 by Harry_S, on Flickr

9272186336_122ff00d10_c.jpg

9269384779_3d2f1ff62a_c.jpg

9269388719_a83715b2b1_c.jpg

9269402891_7a181de28d_c.jpg

9269391967_ac2df1915f_c.jpg

9272833422_2afb92f6bd_c.jpg

9272835286_8652320558_c.jpg

9270052567_0b913524a3_c.jpg

9270047883_92b968ff00_c.jpg

Sharp pans and nice composition.

No regrets in losing the 5D?

Weirdly, no. The Fuji is tiny and has all the picture quality I need. For whatever reason I'm taking photos that I'm far happier with now, quite a bit different to my older stuff but I think having a tiny camera has made me far less self conscious.

Cupra
I can understand that. Sometimes a huge camera body and lens is seen by some as a bit ostentatious. Being able to blend in and still get the quality you want would be ideal.

Great pics, having spent a very hot day there today I am starting to appreciate the skill required in Motorsport photography even if the end results don't bowl me over personally!

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
I thought the Friday was still q geeky. Buy it does feel like a glamping festival meets cars. I thoroughly enjoyed it and think ill go again next year.

Some really nice shots there, quite a few are moving over to the more compact cameras and there seems to be no downside!

In terms of static stuff I agree, in fact I think like for like the picture quality is better than any conventional APS-C I've used, particularly with the ridiculously good range of lenses Fuji have released so far. AF is also absolutely bang on every time, I can say honestly I've never taken an out of focus shot with it, it beats PDAF comfortably in that respect if you work to its strengths (i.e. aim at areas of contrast) I'm so excited about my USA adventures with it in a few weeks time.

For the action stuff it's really not that easy, without 10 years of practicing I don't think I would be anywhere near capable of getting those shots, it works in pretty much exactly the opposite way to a DSLR!

Silverstone GP
Got back from the whole four days there yesterday, a little disappointed with it really, having not been before;

Access to see the 'competition events' was pretty restricted and the events themselves singularly non competitive.
Food and drink were priced for the wealthy few, over £4 for a pint, £2 for a Coke and £6 for a burger.
Cars in the parking fields absolutely covered in fine dust by the end of every day, like they'd been buried!
Lots to see, not much to actually do and four days is way more than you need.
Too popular really, too crowded, too many kids, too hot.
Can't fault the organisation and the campsite was well sorted, secure and well resourced.
Got bitten by an insect and now have Cellulitis in my right leg, Goddamnit!

My advice? Go for just a day and endure the traffic hold ups in and out, which camping overnight obviously pretty much overcomes. More than a day is just repeating what you did the day before, nice but a little wasteful of your precious time.

330i. E30 Touring.
Can't imagine why you'd go for more than one day unless you we're working there tbh.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
Sorry I actually find it funny you went for four days. I found one day tiring enough to see everything.

Ps If you haven't noticed it hasn't rained in a while and grass gets dry and a little dusty. I don't think Lord March could have done anything about that.

Traffic? Including 190 miles of driving I spent just under 4 hours in my car on Friday, straight in, straight out :) Only queue I had all day was waiting for the gates to open between 6:30 and 7am. The paddocks were lovely at 7am, so quiet.

The thread on PH amused me, people moaning about traffic when arriving at 10am...of course 62,000 people into one stately home doesn't go!

Oil Burner
Top pics as always Chris. To be honest i think you could take any camera gear combination and produce pixel perfect pans, great for people to see that may believe not having pro gear is preventing their photography from improving.