ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Final Race Testing

Turbos.
Some pics from more testing at Brands... will get some race pictures up soon and let you know how we got on :)

Brands01101710.jpg

Brands01101732.jpg

Brands01102298.jpg

Brands01102330.jpg

Brands01102415.jpg

Brands01102471.jpg

Brands01103152.jpg

Brands01103180.jpg

Brands01103182.jpg

Never noticed the roof lifting off before!

1.4 16v Clio
Looks Great!!!

Mounting the drivers seat in the middle must have been a bit of a job with moving round steering columns etc.

Turbos.
Thanks. The central seat is actually very easy to do as it was always intended to be like that.

You just flip the rack over and re-route the ancillaries.

172 Silver Cup
Wish I had your money, would be just as happy taking the CLS out! What a sound they make!

Turbos.
Ok ok... we came 2nd then DNS in the other race, but managed 2nd overall in Class One. When i get the race pictures i'll do a proper story, as it was easily the most turbulent race!

Turbos.
PMSL. Love that vid.

Tony, would have preferred it in the rain to be honest. Better chance against the big power M3s.

Turbos.
Ok then, so here is a little write up of the race. Big thanks to Oliver Read to the pictures on this thread BTW!

Since my last report, the 'box now had a flat upshift and the splitter was re-designed with a honeycomb under tray to stop it breaking. Otherwise the car was the same as before.

Being the last race, it had attracted a few new entries. Some people also got some cheeky second drivers, including an ex-touring car champion, Carrera Cup champion and one of The Stigs! Typically we qualified around 5th so we were really chuffed to be the top amateurs in 4th, but with Brands being a short circuit it was probably more advantageous for us over the BMWs.

BRANDS01103579.jpg

What we were really hoping for was rain. In testing the day before, the gap between us and the already championship winning BMW was closer. Of course, things never work out weather wise and the October weekend was bright and sunny!

We did get a bit of luck however, as 3rd place had trouble and didn't start the race from the grid. This was crucial as being in 4th meant starting from the outside and getting barged out of the way! Despite this, the rolling start killed us, with 1st and 2nd (both BMWs) pulling a lead straight away. However, the dicing resulted in one having a major slide and my dad zipped into 2nd place before the end of the first lap.. result!

BRANDS01103844.jpg

Behind, dicing was helping us increase a gap as people battled for position. The E30 M3 barged off another BMW, with the experienced Stig slicing through the aftermath into 3rd in the yellow Exige.

BRANDS01103594.jpg

The E30 eventually made it up to 3rd before dramatically retiring. This was of course great for us as we had an even bigger safety margin. Meanwhile the leading BMW was an easy second ahead each lap.

BRANDS01103899.jpg

BRANDS01103589.jpg

Halfway through the race, we did the driver change. My dad reported some gearchange issues, and the car stalled in the pits.

BRANDS01103380.jpg

Unfortunately some confusion between me, pit radio and a marshall meant i left 16 seconds too early! More on this later!

BRANDS01103388.jpg

Thanks to my cheeky quick pit stop we were in the lead, and i was starting to lap the field.

BRANDS01104130.jpg

BRANDS01104085.jpg

BRANDS01104116.jpg

Then, just two laps after relinqushing 1st place to the BMW again, he pulled off! This was possibly connected to the sole Clio mistakenly going wheel to wheel with him.

BRANDS01103586.jpg

Whatever it was, i was back in the lead and with not long to go, i had lights a blaze and was looking forward to our first victory!

BRANDS01104100.jpg

Then, suddenly, the gearchange problem mentioned by my dad reared its head. I downchanged at druids and the rear wheels locked up. Tyre smoke filled the cabin and i was coming to terms with the the thoughts of having to retire. Fortunately, as long as i kept to 4th and 5th gear i could still get round. With a few laps to go, one of the BMWs was edging closer. I pushed on and actually set my best times whilst using just two gears!

Race finished, i thought i had won. It was a hollow victory, seeing as the fastest car pulled out so i wasn't really celebrating. I was then told the BMW catching me was actually still a lap behind. Problem was, my pit stop infringement meant a 1 minute penalty + the 16 seconds. We were demoted to 2nd...

The car wasn't in a good state either. As i got back to the pits it stalled and wouldn't come out of gear. Good thing the race ended there! Unfortunately the gearbox - a quaife sequential - never recovered and we couldn't do the second race. Wasn't all bad though, we played our Joker (double points) and ended up finishing 2nd Overall in our class :approve:

We're not sure about next season, but probably doing Britcar again. We are going to go for a paddleshift conversion on the 'box, but if funds allow swap for a Hewland beforehand. We're also going to build up a de-tuned spare engine as currently our one that revs to 8600rpm probably won't last a 6 hour race!

182cup & 172 racecar
Nice story,glad you did well,shame about the pit stop but these things happen in the heat of the moment.
We did an enduro race at Brno with driver swap and petrol,it was a nightmare when your not used to it.

Well done.

Bluebeard

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Man, you must be loaded! ;)

Good little story there mate. Must be a good feeling knowing all those cars were trying to catch you!

Poopensharten

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Very good mate always intresting reading these!

I dare say you need deep pockets to participate in somthing like this?

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Very good mate always intresting reading these!

I dare say you need deep pockets to participate in somthing like this?

Providing you don't bang it...It can be manageable with sponsers and shared drives.

Insurance, entry's, controlled fuel, tracktime, hotels, travel is the majority of the costs.

Ironically in karts we were spending over 3k a weekend in the uk...Alot more abroad, In the caterhams and radicals it was less!!

Turbos.
Reason i stopped karting was i couldn't afford to travel abroad, plus my mums desires for me to be schooled properly! Even something like Foruma Ford is getting over £100k a season these days, just look at the support vans absolutely filled with tyres... £10k alone!

We (i say we, my dad lol) was paying up to £10k for a race weekend. That is Friday-Sunday, paying for about 3 mechanics, hospitality, hotels for everyone and consumables. It all adds up. If you are good with your hands and look after your car its not that expensive. Its just my dad just wants to do 'arrive and drive.'

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
cool write up! i was sad you got the penalty though at the end :(

that vid of Bentone at Brands... who is it who says 'but tom can't drive?' makes me roffle.