ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fire Extinguisher

TeZ

Non RS : (
i would get one , As i have heard clios set on fire... and Once a V6 set on fire,
Now i would love to see that.

D

dick

nah doubt ther are pics, would have been on cliosport before if ther was wouldnt ther?

TH0_16200748Car_fire__2.jpg

Could help stop this :)

Megane 230 R26
You've got to be pretty quick with one of those little powder extinguishers if something is happening, because a full discharge won't put out a particularly large fire... and still always call 999 even if you think it's out, just in case... because if it starts up again your extinguisher is already empty! :S

sav

Renault Clio 1.2 mk2 ph1
well i just got the carbon fiber looking one that way i can place it onto the back or my seat (in the boot) and im covered if i ever need it. thx for the help

clio 1.6 16v 2001
I would go for the 1KG one myself.
The discharge time of these is around the 10 second mark so imagine what your going to get out of the smaller aerosol types!
Also, make sure you know how to use it.
Most car fires start under the bonnet.
If this happens then DON'T open it.
Use the extinguisher through the grill or just pop it onto the first catch and shoot it through the gap.
Note that powder extinguishers work on a chemical reaction with the fire and thus have no cooling effect. Re-ignition is possible so keep the bonnet closed and dial 999.
I applaud you for thinking ahead. Every one should have one of these in their car.
Lecture over :)

Obelix

Mk4 .:R32
i got the carbon fibre one aswell. i got it under the passenger seat tho so i can reach it quicker plus if it accidently goes off i wont have foam in my face lol

I've got a small one in my car "just incase" but I fear that most of the time for car fires, a fire extinguisher won't suffice, and we'll just have to wait for the fire brigade.

Anyway, just look on the bright side, if the front of your car melts away, you can get a new one! :)

sav

Renault Clio 1.2 mk2 ph1
I would go for the 1KG one myself.
The discharge time of these is around the 10 second mark so imagine what your going to get out of the smaller aerosol types!
Also, make sure you know how to use it.
Most car fires start under the bonnet.
If this happens then DON'T open it.
Use the extinguisher through the grill or just pop it onto the first catch and shoot it through the gap.
Note that powder extinguishers work on a chemical reaction with the fire and thus have no cooling effect. Re-ignition is possible so keep the bonnet closed and dial 999.
I applaud you for thinking ahead. Every one should have one of these in their car.
Lecture over :)

Obelix

thank you, i too think that everyone should have one in there car even if it never gets used its peace of mind knowing that you have one if its needed.

Banana
Those flamebeater ones are way too small to put out an engine bay fire once it takes hold. 1 KG or bigger defo.
And keep it close to hand, not in the boot where I find most people seem to store them. I keep mine in the passenger footwell.

AugustSLRpics038.jpg

182 Cup
This probably sounds arsey and 'know it all' of me, but I would like to stress that no handheld extinguisher will really be capable of putting out and engine fire in most cases. If you want peace of mind a full plumbed in extinguisher would be the best option. Any handheld extinguisher will do not much more than buy you precious time.

A friend of mines recently lost his car to a fire, in this case he had a handheld extinguisher which he claimed was as good as useless.

Renaultsport Clio V6
In my opinion I would buy a AFFF (Aqueous Film Forming Foam) extinguisher. They can be used off and on, suitable for oil and electrical fires and more importantly have a cooling affect on the base of a fire, dry powder does not, just smothers the flame. Foam will find all the little nuks and crannys under the bonnet for example were dry powder is a little hit or miss. Only problem is AFFF extinguishers tend to be a little bigger in size. Hope this helps.

Twingo 133
It is definatly worth having a fire extinguisher handy.
A friend of mine had the positive of the battery loom short out and catch alight.
If i didnt have a fire extinguisher then the chances are, the car would of gone up.

In my opinion I would buy a AFFF (Aqueous Film Forming Foam) extinguisher. They can be used off and on, suitable for oil and electrical fires and more importantly have a cooling affect on the base of a fire, dry powder does not, just smothers the flame. Foam will find all the little nuks and crannys under the bonnet for example were dry powder is a little hit or miss. Only problem is AFFF extinguishers tend to be a little bigger in size. Hope this helps.

AFFF extinguishers are bloody awefull.

If only those damn tree huggers hadnt got Halon ones banned.