ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Firewall

Fiat Panda 100hp
Hey, what firewall is everyone using? whats the best?

Im using zone alarm pro at the moment.

*kind of*
It's more of a firewall with some routing capabilities. (it can also do traffic shaping, VPN termination, etc.. :) )

It has 3 interfaces.. 1 WAN (Internet) which goes to a Cisco ADSL modem, 1 LAN (my local network - PC, Laptop), and 1 DMZ (My public servers for web server, mail server etc.).

Public servers obviously have public IP addresses.. (each one has it's own IP) and then my LAN has a single public IP which just uses normal NAT like a normal router.
The firewall firewalls all incoming and outgoing connections.. to and from all interfaces :)

UR 197, AB 182 FF
Personally I'd rather have no firewall at all than a software firewall running on the machine you are supposed to be protecting.

I have packet filtering on my router and I run winpooch. If anything runs, i'm damn sure I know about it.

Last edited:
  UR 197, AB 182 FF
The company I work for publishes Zone alarm, so if anybody wants a cheap one, let me know ;)

RARE Unmolested Corsa sxi
Norton, got the whole security package from them with my subscription to BT Yahoo Broadband.

RenaultSport Clio 172 CUP
Norton eats your computer alive in my view..

Zone Alarm Pro is good for home users in my view, i cant really fault it its a great program! I use it for Anti-Spyware and for my firewall... and then for Virus protection i use PC-Cillin 2006...

and god AVG is another evil program in my view :)

G_F

BMW M3 & Williams 3
Norton is one of the worst programs on the market, advertising leads people to think it is a good piece of software.

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
zonealarm is fine if its configured correctly.

i personally use an older version than the latest release. and combined with avast, in 3 years almost iv not had a single problem and have full control over programs 'phoning home' etc.

Silver 172 Ph1
ZA tended to go skits on me and eat resources so I opted for F-Secure Internet security, it includes a AV and firewall and I think its around £30

What do people mean when they say norton eats your computer alive?

Ive got the internet security package and ive never, not once had a single virus detected, after completing a system scan. So i cant really fault it to be honest.

I used to use AVG and found new viruses on the computer almost every week so i stopped using it.

172 Cup
Ive got the internet security package and ive never, not once had a single virus detected, after completing a system scan. So i cant really fault it to be honest.

I used to use AVG and found new viruses on the computer almost every week so i stopped using it.

Doesn't that kind of tell you something..

Put it another way..

Bloke goes to a doctor that has a bad reputation and the doctor gives him the all clear each time. Bloke then went to a doctor who is highly recommended and he said his balls had fallen off and he had 2 days left to live.. Bloke went back to the other doctor..

Get my drift?

Fiesta ST
I use the router's firewall and windows built in firewall - thats more than enough - other software is just a resource hog and not needed!

As for anti-virus I use symantec business edition - which is simple and runs hidden. Far better than the bloated norton crap.

Doesn't that kind of tell you something..

Put it another way..

Bloke goes to a doctor that has a bad reputation and the doctor gives him the all clear each time. Bloke then went to a doctor who is highly recommended and he said his balls had fallen off and he had 2 days left to live.. Bloke went back to the other doctor..

Get my drift?

Good point. My subscription expires in 15 days so im looking for new security. What would people recommend? Norton does slow the pc down. It now takes 5 minutes to fully load and boot up after ive logged on. I want something reliable and that i can trust to do the job. Thats why i went with norton last time due to their well known name.

What about Mcafee?

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
i like my firewall to inform me of everything thats attempting to connect to the net.

you would be suprised how much actually does. its nice to have full control over everything.

especially if your using the odd app thats not legit and tries to phone home!