ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

First gear WTF

clio
for some reason my car doesnt like first gear. occasionally it slots into place no problem but every now and again it just doesnt seem to want to go in.. mate alex c has the same problem :S

Mine was the exact same when I had a Mk2. I used to just put it into reverse, then it would slot into first perfectly.

clio
yeah that seems to work. its only occasionally, when stuck in traffic i sometimes just keep it in second and move off in that just to keep it smooth really

Ph1.2 / VW Polo
my clio wouldnt go into first till id completly stopped. was annoying. a little blip on the gas helps it go in.

They often seem to do this, especially if you depress the clutch and coast to a stop.

Best bet is to stick it in 2nd and then back to first.

Maybe because it is easier to accelerate at 5-10 mph in first gear rather than second, the same reason you'd put it in second not fifth at 20 mph?

Just a guess :p

Ibiza FR
Mines the same, never goes in unless completely still, so i force it in!
Its the least of my worries with my car at the moment anyway

2004 1.5 DCi 80 Dyna
why would you put it in first if your not completly stopped anyway?

If your going up a steep hill and the car is struggling maybe? You don't want to stop and lose the forward motion or it will be a heck of a hill start!

Mine does it too, some times it just wont go in, As long as other people are getting it, then I will just add it to the list the frogs f****d up!