ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

First Track Day Do I need Different Pads

PH1 172 Sport
Well my first trackday was booked today for next month. Ive currently got Greenstuff pads with brembo max disks. I know that opinions on the pads vary greatly.

Will they be ok for my first trackday or shall I buy something else for car is a daily driver so I dont want anything that squeels or produces shed loads of dust!

I going to get some braided lines on there before I go but I'm trying to keep costs down really so will only do the pads if I really need to.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
My greenstuff have been fine on the track day i did, apart from when i stayed out for ages.

phase 1 172 sport
Which track you doing mate?ive Ebc brakes and yellowstuff pads and braided brake lines plus change your brake fluid 5.1 so you don,t get brake fade on track Enjoy:D

Go steady fella as its your first Track Day and change them when they are worn as mentioned above.

PH1 172 Sport
I'm going to Oulten Park with the BMW car club would you believe!

I'll definately be taking it steady so hopefully they'll be ok. The pads are about a year old but there hardly worn. Suppose I would rather ruin them then throw them in the bin. I just dont want them to ruin my day!

megan R26.R number 006
Well my first trackday was booked today for next month. Ive currently got Greenstuff pads with brembo max disks. I know that opinions on the pads vary greatly.

Will they be ok for my first trackday or shall I buy something else for car is a daily driver so I dont want anything that squeels or produces shed loads of dust!

I going to get some braided lines on there before I go but I'm trying to keep costs down really so will only do the pads if I really need to.

oem pads are fine tbh for your first track day or two take it easy and slowly progress threw out the day but dont stay out to long if they feel like they are fading back off and return to the pits and give them time to cool down also brake where is quite high on a track day so make shore there is plenty of pad left before you go to the track day and rember enjoy your self ;)

172 Race Car
There is only one really big stop at oulton.

Bomber had loads of trouble with his Greenstuff at Bedford, he has since added cooling and it seems to have helped.

Just make sure you do short stints and do a proper slowing down lap where you dont use the brakes before coming in.

M

mini-valver

If you get them hot enough to fade, remember to not just park up in the paddock to cool them. You need to be rolling to avoid them warping as the veins on the inside of the disc do the majority of the work getting them back down to temprature.

TrackCar & F30 330d
It depend if your going to be doing some more track days? I got the trackday bug and i have bought trackday wheels and am getting some track pads.
I had EBC Green stuff for my first trackday, got loads of fade.
Personaly i would change them :)

megan R26.R number 006
It depend if your going to be doing some more track days? I got the trackday bug and i have bought trackday wheels and am getting some track pads.
I had EBC Green stuff for my first trackday, got loads of fade.
Personaly i would change them :)

oem pads are better than ebc ;) they will be fine i know loads of pepole that use oem pads on trackdays

megan R26.R number 006
Which track you doing mate?ive Ebc brakes and yellowstuff pads and braided brake lines plus change your brake fluid 5.1 so you don,t get brake fade on track Enjoy:D

you need some better pads ;) ebc are pants get your self some ferodo ds2500's you will see the difrence strate a way i know some one that managed to muller a set of them after 1 1/2 tracdays and get brake fade with them .
yellows are fine for road use but they done seam to hold up on track .

Lionel Richie
god you lot make it sound like he'll die! he's a first timer on track, so theoretically he's not going to be going crackers, you'll be fine as you are, get out there, listen and learn and go from there, main thing is have fun!

megan R26.R number 006
god you lot make it sound like he'll die! he's a first timer on track, so theoretically he's not going to be going crackers, you'll be fine as you are, get out there, listen and learn and go from there, main thing is have fun!

well put fred

PH1 172 Sport

Good advice I think thats what i'm going to do. I'll definately not be going crackers! Thanks for the advice everyone. :D

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
What you have will be fine for your 1st one.... No point spending a fortune cos some people don't actually enjoy track days so it would be a shame to spend a fortune and then not do another track day

I did Snetterton on OE Setup and for 1st 10 minutes they were great but lap by lap after then they began to fade alot,

I've got Greens on currently but they are nearly done and will be getting Pagid Blue's to go with my Max Disks and Braided Lines next time,

As said just go out and enjoy yourself.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I did a day at bedford on standard brakes, won't be a problem if your sensible.

Turbos.
I think the ones you have will be fine... but i would change from OEM purely as they will get cooked and i'd rather re-fit them when you're not on track, getting better use out of them.

Golf GTD Mk7
I left my OEM ones on when i did Bedford. The pads haven't been the same since, but they coped ok i thought. Will change them before i do my next one, but they are fine for normal day to day use still (7 months on)

Ph2 172 Cup
I did my first trackday last year. No need to change pads, if you were going to do anything it would be braided hoses first.

What I found was that when the brakes do start fade they fade FAST! As soon as you feel this, slow down immediately. Always do a slow down lap with light braking as a cool down before coming into the pits.

Once you've done your first trackday you'll know so much more about how your car handles and behaves and you'll be able to come to your own conclusions about what you need to upgrade if you want to go on the track more regularly.

ITB'd MK1
I dont trust EBC on a road car let alone on track. Saying that, Fred has a point, if you've never done track work before you're unlikely to run into trouble. Some new fluid might help you avoid the pedal going to the floor for a bit longer

PH1 172 Sport
^^ There definately not the best pad ive ever had I can get them to fade on the road after quite a long hard drive but im generally quite gentle on the brakes. Ive already had new fluid this year. I'm really starting to warm to the idea of getting some new pads as the old student loan went in today!

Bearing in mind track days are not going to be a regular thing as i'm still at uni and that I dont really want anything that produces loads of dust whats pads do people recomend so I can look at some prices!

Also wheres the best place to get some braided lines from? Could I get any made for cheaper then buying a kit?

ITB'd MK1
if they're fading on the road, change them. you'll get frustrated and it'll cost you time on track if they're cooked quickly. do disks at the same time as pads if you're changing pad compound

PH1 172 Sport
Any suggestions though taking into consideration the above post? - was good to meet you yesterday BTW.

My first track day i got pissed off with brake fade, why pay 100+ to do a trackday then have to stop after every three laps cause you've got fade

ITB'd MK1
Any suggestions though taking into consideration the above post? - was good to meet you yesterday BTW.

we do a couple of kits- lines discs and pads, minor differences depending on what you want. give us a call tomorrow if you want :)

yeah nice to meet you too, some really nice CS guys came and spoke to us over the weekend :)

PH1 172 Sport
^^ cheers but ive already got brembo max disks and as of 10 minutes ago some braided lines. Has anyone used DS Perfromance pads?

ITB'd MK1
your discs will be contaminated with EBC compound. they wont work as well as they can with any other compound unless you get new.

We use Mintex pads, 1155 would be good for you IMO

1155 are sh1t I'd had EBC Yellow over them and the yellows are cheaper and I've tryed alot of pads and do alot of track days

Clio Trophy (225/500)
How long will new the ds2500 or pagid blue pads last. If I do a track day in them will they have any life left for road use?

PH1 172 Sport
How long will new the ds2500 or pagid blue pads last. If I do a track day in them will they have any life left for road use?

Did my first trackday on friday and TBH ive not noticed any major increase of wear on my brakes or tyres. If its your first time on the track you probably wont be pushing hard enough to wear anything out. So in answer to your questions the pads will be fine for a trackday and then road use.

clio 172 cup
make sure you have good brake fluid. i used AP600 but there are lots out there which are just as good imo. the ebc green pads will be fine. have a good track day.