ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fitting a fabia splitter

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
I used these, for the wide head, self drilling/tapping and being zinc plated, but despite being self tappers I still found it best to predrill some 2mm pilots.
http://www.screwfix.com/p/easydrive...er-screws-4-8-x-22-x-n-amm-200-pack/7483h#_=p
Start from the centre as the splitter is a little too long, so will need trimming at each end.
I used some sharp tin snips to trim the ends neatly but a decent blade would do the trick.

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
I fitted one to mine and cut the ends off. I did say that if ever I fitted another I'd make a cut in the centre of the splitter and keep the ends nice and tidy.

cheers for the feed back guys. I've got a cup so I got a splitter on already just wondered if there were any top tips. Managed to mangle mine after some opposite locking into a curb!! Anyone know if its a straight swap or are the holes in different locations? Sorry should have been a little more detailed in the op. Cheers

oreA

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i; Clio 172
Here you go @oreA
Still not sure what the best thing to do is??
Thanks @Fergie606, I think I'm gonna somehow figure out what it will look like with the ends trimmed without cutting it, if it looks a bit gash then I'll probably do what Sunglasses_Ron has suggested and have a join in the middle, even if it upsets loggyboy 😂. The join will probably need a some kinda trim to tidy it up....

Has anyone got a picture of the ends of the splitter once it's been trimmed? How's it look?

Thanks.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Screenshot_2016-10-27-18-06-16.png

oreA

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i; Clio 172
Thank you chaps! It does look OK. I was half expecting to see bits of plastic bridging the two sides and was worried it would look awful.

Actually, this has made it more difficult, I was semi-convinced I was going for a join in the middle, now I don't know 🙈😂.

I'll wait and see what the uncut ends look like.

Thanks again :up:

oreA

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i; Clio 172
Well, it would be helpful if someone could go right on ahead and fit one with a join in the middle, then I'll make my mind up :wink:.

oreA

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i; Clio 172
It would be nice to keep the original ends now I've seen your pic of the uncut end fairm010, it does finish it off nicely. I'm just not sure there's a satisfactory way of making a join look pukka though.....

I'll probably end up trimming both ends and having a join in the middle 🙈.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I don't know why anybody would consider joining it in the mddle :eek:penmouth: It'll be more work than needed and look shite . Just fit it central and trim both ends , job done . It's dead easy .

oreA

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i; Clio 172
^ that told me 😂. I was just worried the cut ends would look naff. Having now seen them it's fair to say they look just fine, and if it's good enough for most everyone else.......

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
^ that told me 😂. I was just worried the cut ends would look naff. Having now seen them it's fair to say they look just fine, and if it's good enough for most everyone else.......
They don't look naff mate . To the untrained eye of a Clio owner they'd look oem . I just positioned mine in place , used some masking tape to hold it there and drilled some very small pilot holes in the bumper then used self tappers . Trimmed the ends with a sharp stanley knife , job done . Some people don't even bother with pilot holes , but I prefer to do it that way.

They don't look naff mate . To the untrained eye of a Clio owner they'd look oem . I just positioned mine in place , used some masking tape to hold it there and drilled some very small pilot holes in the bumper then used self tappers . Trimmed the ends with a sharp stanley knife , job done . Some people don't even bother with pilot holes , but I prefer to do it that way.
What he said :wink:

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
I used a pair of tin snips to cut mine, as it sort of softens the edge of the cut.
To go back to the centre cut argument, you have to consider what gets seen more often... ends or the middle!