ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fitting a headunit

How easy is it to put a stereo in a valver?, mates given us a panasonic tapeplayer, anythin will do @ the mo.

Is it hard to fit them?

nope, remove old one, disconnect ISO connectors from old unit, connect to new unit, place stereo into slot, and away you go

of course you need to fit the snatch plate and opssibly swap the red and yellow cables round, but you will know what to do when you come to it

don't

yep, should be easy enough aslong as u have some knowledge and some small screwdrivers and wirecutters incase :)

if all wires are in a block then piss easy 2 do once u have the old unit out

190 BHP Willy 2

yep easy peasy.

Should all be iso connectors. Unless some clever idiot has cut them, then its:-

black - black

yellow - red

red - yellow

Thats the power and permanant live, so you dont lose radio stations.

Other cables cream, purple, orange and white (I think) are all speakers. Fade them out to each corner and work it out that way. They dont pair up.

Theres another plug and single black cable bound together, these are for the steering wheel controls. But youll need a convertor for these to plug in and work so just tuck them away.

Then obviously the aeriel.

I apologise if any of my speaker colours are out.

Also dont use spade connectors, strip the wire and twist them together and tape them up. Connectors cause no end of problems. I was told this by a reputable car audio shop when I went to get some oxygen free cableing.

Scott

Quote: Originally posted by big hp on 10 November 2004

Also dont use spade connectors, strip the wire and twist them together and tape them up. Connectors cause no end of problems. I was told this by a reputable car audio shop when I went to get some oxygen free cableing.
ive no doubt this is what you were told, but i know that as an installer, id rather use bullet connectors, then tape the connctors together, there is no way id even consider just taping a wire together, too high risk, and far too unreliable

all cable will generate heat when a current is put through it, something tells me that the tape is unlikely to cope with much heat, therefore have a chance of catching fire

So where does that leave Soldering and heatshrinking? I was advised that soldering causes oxydisation on the joint, but gives far superior conductivity?

soldering is the best way, but its far more permanent, if like myself you never have a car for more than 2 weeks its really not worth doing