ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fitting second 1 DIN size device

Ive recently brought a 182 ( moving up from a T reg 1.2 clio) - impressed doesnt even begin and thats with currently keeping it under 4.5k rpm, as Im still only at 700ish miles (Im bringing in an additional 1k rpm every 100 miles ... I see myself keeping this car as long as the 1.2 :) ). Anyway ...

In the 1.2 (which didnt have the passenger airbag), my mStation mp3 player fitted very nicely in the compartment directly under the glove box. However, the 182 has the pass air bag, so I am a little stuck about where to put it.

The mStation is a single DIN sized device (178mm x 50mm x 222mm) + a bit (say 2 inchs) at the rear for power cable connector and RCA outputs.

I realise that this device is really suppose to replace your entire headunit, but I want to be able to use a radio as well, particularly for traffic updates. I brought a Blaupunkt Alicante with aux in.

So any thoughts where it could be sited and how ?
I tried the compartment directly under the air con controls, in the middle of dash, but it fouls the gearstick ( which is a real bummer as it would look well nice there :( ). I have heard of under-dash mountings, but cant find any links / info - could I use one of these to mount it under the glovebox ?

Anyone else fitted something similar (maybe a DVD player or something) ? I thought maybe in the glovebox, removing the glovebox door. I would really like to keep cutting / drilling etc ... of the dash to an absolute minimum.

I should add that this is the mk1 version of the mStation where the separate LCD display connects into top of device, rather than the the mk2 version where the display connects into the back of the device.

well, ive fitted head units in glove boxes before. very easy, especially if you have a removable section at the back of the glovebox to get cables through, then all you need is either a cheap din sized bracket (from halfords) i think its desinged froo similar use, or make a fiber glass front to the glovebox and go all out (done both, to tell the truth, not worth the extra effort fiber glasing, as bracket looks quite good.

Does it have a remote control?

you could just leave the glove box door open when using it.

other sugetions are under front seat, but would need hard wired contorl probably, so if the display unit is moveable, could you extrend the cables and have the display on the dash, and the main part in the boot?

You could also use the din bracket to install the unit under the glove box.