ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fitting Xenon Headlights

Clio Sport 197
Hello,

I am looking to replace my standard headlights on my Clio 197 with some Xenon headlights.

I was wondering what the best method and cost would likely be?
Would an adapter be required etc?

Thanks very much

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Erm. Afaik it's a bumper off job... And if you want them to work properly (auto/self levelling etc) you'd need to splice the loom into the existing loom (ecu?)

If not. I think it's plug and play.

You have two choices really.

1. Find a complete set of OEM xenons second hand/pay Renault prices, either way quite expensive and probably hard to find second hand.

2. Buy a set of non xenon OEM projector lights and then buy an HID kit to go with it, probably cheaper and easier to find.

People will tell you that you need self levellers and washers to pass an MOT, but you don't.

Nickson

ClioSport Club Member
^ If they're fitted they have to work, if they're not fitted they can't test them, even under the new laws. It's the same as a spare tyre.

Nickson

ClioSport Club Member
^ If they're fitted they have to work, if they're not fitted they can't test them, even under the new laws. It's the same as a spare tyre.

IE. If Xenons/HID bulbs are fitted they have to auto level..

In practice this means:
1. The headlamp unit (outer lens, reflector, bulb) shall be type approved to ECE 98 and be "e-marked" to demonstrate this. That can only be done by the headlamp supplier - Hella, Valeo etc. who must test the headlamp in an independent laboratory.
2. Once fitted to the vehicle it must have headlamp cleaning and self-levelling

Which it won't do if there are no level sensors fitted or calibrated.

I may be wrong. But that is how I see it.

I don't think it is a question of, I don't have sensors you cannot test them.

The lights must auto level.

I may be wrong, but that is how I interpreted it.