ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Flat battery AGAIN!

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Oh arse! My new (used) alternator is smelling really hot, that's the second one I've fitted in 2 months, I can see blackening on the windings and it's not making a great sound. New from RPD my next option? I'm losing the will now!

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Oh arse! My new (used) alternator is smelling really hot, that's the second one I've fitted in 2 months, I can see blackening on the windings and it's not making a great sound. New from RPD my next option? I'm losing the will now!

Gutted mate.

I went with a new one from Renault Wolverhampton on eBay and it's been fine for over 2 years.

Have you got the plastic guard behind the front grille? It protects the alternator, especially from water.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Gutted mate.

I went with a new one from Renault Wolverhampton on eBay and it's been fine for over 2 years.

Have you got the plastic guard behind the front grille? It protects the alternator, especially from water.
Yeah I'm sure I do have the guard, Are Wolverhampton the cheapest for a genuine?

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Just been reading a dodgy earth can cause an overheating alternator, my old alternator wasnt overheating I just assumed it was the cause of my battery drain

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Gutted mate.

Which plastic guard is that? I've just moved my alternator and can't remember having a guard?

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
That's the plastic cover behind the grille.

You cant really see it but the point is you cant see the alternator, which you would without the plastic cover.

Attachments

• 16054427066272920941336588977978.jpg
    16054427066272920941336588977978.jpg
    1,010.4 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Reactions: MLB

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Ah right, not sure if I've got that one fitted either. Have to have a look next week. Thanks!

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Is there any chance that my alternator problem is related to something else or just bad luck?

Clio 182
I had a similar issue, my alarm kept going off almost every night , driving the neighbours crazy.

The battery was a slightly larger quality Bosch only 18 months old. However I was only doing 3 miles a day with 2 starts X 5 .

Holding charge fine and drawing very little power.

I purchased a new Bosch S4 - 001

It's been fine now for 4 weeks with 1 extra 10 mile drive.

Guy at my garage said only about %20 of power made by the alternator is used for charging the battery...???

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Rnew alternator ordered from Renault Wolverhampton today for a bargain £181.99😬

Reactions: MLB

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Not too bad, they seem to have shot up in price recently!
Yes they have, thought I'd get one quick while I could. Buying two used alternators, both no use for one reason or another has made this an expensive ordeal. We live and learn!

M90SR

ClioSport Club Member

Before fitting your new alternator, check for oxidation at this terminal.

It is a common problem, and will cause the alternator to cook itself.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Thanks @M90SR I'll have a good look over the whole area I think. I'm hoping it was just bad luck

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
My shiny new alternator has arrived, so that I dont risk cooking another is there anything I should be aware of when fitting it?