ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

FLOODING!!!

Clio 1.2 Mk2 Ph2
Hi guys, i have a 1.2 16V Clio. last night we had quite a lot of rain so much so the place i'm living flooded.

As if that wasn't bad enough when i left to get into my car, that was flooded. I've had the Clio sat in the rain before without any problems but for some reason last night it filled with water. does anyone have any ideas what it could be and any solutions to fix it asap as were due some more heavy rain for the next few days.

my first thought was sunroof however only one half of the car was wet let alone flooded....

Thanks guys.

Suzuki Ignis Sport
Sunroof, clear out the drainage holes.. the water should run out from the wheel arches. Make sure they're clear (test with water!). Make sure the seal is seated properly on the sunroof. Make sure all door seals are seated properly too!

happened with me too mate, pouring thunderstorm, knew the car was gonna be bad, got in, not a drop! Drive it off the drive - and it all fell out of the ceiling!!!

​Thrill - what would you recommend for clearing the sunroof drains?

Clio Sport Rep
I had the same problem and only found the source of the problem recently, but could be different problem your experiencing.

There are 3 drainage holes located in the bulkhead found under the scuttle panel at the bottom of the windscreen.

There is one drainage hole at each side of the car and one in the middle. The middle one was blocked full of leaves and other material that was causing the water to back up and surround the inlet into the heater. The water was able to make its way inside the car from here and fill up the footwells, and if parked facing up hill, work it's way to the rear footwells.

If it is the case that it is blocked, the wipers need to be removed with wiper pullers, then both scuttle panels removed and the wiper motor assembly removed. This will give access to the drainage hole and the heater inlet.

I unblocked the drainage hole then unbolted the inlet to find it was sealed terribly with a foam seal. I dried the foam seal out and then siliconed the inlet back down to prevent water being able to get through if it ever backed up again (which it shouldn't as drain is clear).

Hope this helps and you can stop it leaking :)

Suzuki Ignis Sport
happened with me too mate, pouring thunderstorm, knew the car was gonna be bad, got in, not a drop! Drive it off the drive - and it all fell out of the ceiling!!!

​Thrill - what would you recommend for clearing the sunroof drains?

Anything, I used an all purpose cleaner. Maybe use an old coat hanger to help clear debris, mine we're clean though but I chucks some APC down it every few months to keep everything clean. Like the other guy said, it could be the drain holes under the scuttle panel. They can, and will get blocked. Get a wiper removal tool, remove wipers, remove scuttle panel and have a look around there for dirt etc.

Clio Sport Rep
Anything, I used an all purpose cleaner. Maybe use an old coat hanger to help clear debris, mine we're clean though but I chucks some APC down it every few months to keep everything clean. Like the other guy said, it could be the drain holes under the scuttle panel. They can, and will get blocked. Get a wiper removal tool, remove wipers, remove scuttle panel and have a look around there for dirt etc.

If you have the ability, get some compressed air down the 2 sunroof drainage holes. Get someone else to listen to the corners of the scuttle panels where the water drains to, to ensure the pipe are free.

2002 clio 1.2dynamic
ive got this same problem i think and its leaking in through the roof near the corner of the sunvisors i think my sunroof is not sealed though so i think i might have to seal it up

Clio Sport Rep
I also took the metal frame off the car and re sealed down with automotive black sealer.

Have to take the glass out of the sunroof, then remove the sunroof trim surround that holds the headliner up, undo all the 10mm bolts that holds the frame down.

The factory seal they use is also terrible and made of foam. I used flat head screwdriver and white spirit to remove the foam and the adhesive and then applied silicone and re bolted to the roof.

I then cleaned up the excess with silicone cleaner and has worked since then.

I also took the metal frame off the car and re sealed down with automotive black sealer.

Have to take the glass out of the sunroof, then remove the sunroof trim surround that holds the headliner up, undo all the 10mm bolts that holds the frame down.

The factory seal they use is also terrible and made of foam. I used flat head screwdriver and white spirit to remove the foam and the adhesive and then applied silicone and re bolted to the roof.

I then cleaned up the excess with silicone cleaner and has worked since then.

It'd be nice if there was a step-by-step guide with pictures for us idiots! Roughly how hard was this and how long did it take you?
​Did you need any particular tools? I've heard a 10mm ratchet spanner does the trick.

Clio Sport Rep
It'd be nice if there was a step-by-step guide with pictures for us idiots! Roughly how hard was this and how long did it take you?
​Did you need any particular tools? I've heard a 10mm ratchet spanner does the trick.

Sadly I didn't take any pictures when I was doing it as it was starting to rain at the time and wanted it on :)

It was relatively easy, the hardest thing was undoing the 10mm bolts. Like you said the 10mm ratchet spanner made the job much easier.

I could take some pictures when I'm home from work of the sunroof glass removal, sunroof trim surround removal and the bolts that need undoing. Would that help?

Last edited: