ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Flywheel Bolts Sheared

Hey guys,

Just looking for some advice, i have a clio cup 182 05 plate, recently missed a gear change (3rd to 2nd at about 6500rpm :S) and unfortunatly been told i have sheared all my flywheel bolts. When it happened the motor cut out and wouldnt restart. Just wondering if this would cause the engine to cut out. after thinking about it a little i belive that if this was the case the engine would still run but not transfer any power to the gearbox.

Has anyone ever experienced this before? Thanks everyone

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
It cut out and wouldn't restart because your crank sensor signal comes from the flywheel mate. They have the teeth machined into them.
How much damage has it done? They'll happily scrap a block and gearbox at those rpm's!

I'd be checking the cam timing as well as you may have jumped a tooth on the cambelt and bent a few valves.

Thank you very much, thats fantastic, When we turn the motor over via crank it rotates cleanly however we will be stripping the head down to check valves and such. Will be getting a new timing kit with dephaser pully as the motor is out of the car, so that will cure any slipped teeth. diddnt think of the crank sensor causing it to cut out. will keep you posted once i have a list of parts

Carbonraider

ClioSport Club Member
  Raider, 172, the van
If you have sheared all your flywheel bolts your engine will not turn over. Plus after seeing a flywheel detonating before I don't think you would have much of a engine/box left. I'd let someone look at it that know what they are doing.