ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

FOG LIGHT ON DASH POPS ON WHEN SELECTING REVERSE

172 A Cupwork Orange™
^^ As above

just noticed it today if i pop the car in reverse the rear fog light comes on for a split sec on the dash, same when i use the indicators it pops on for a fraction of a second..
however it is just the dash light the actual rear fog light does not come on when doing either of the above, the rear fog light works perfectly well when i turn it on
anyone experienced this fault before and what was the solution,

also if anyone know what the fault could be....

ps its been raining all day so not sure if that could be a factor, i have thought about water leeking in so checked all looks ok

Car: Clio cup 172 (2003)

cheers all

vern

Da

Less
Bad earth or bad connection at the rear lights mate. Take both out, check all connections and give everything a good blast of WD40.

172 A Cupwork Orange™
when i purchased the car there was a bit of plastic sweet wrapper stuck in the rear right screw part inside the boot where its held in i ripped this out months ago and had no after effects..

this maybe why it was in there lol

so am i ok actualy spraying the wires with wd40 ? i take it they are like spade connectors or kinda like plugin blocks>?

again am i ok spraying direct onto these without doing any harm?..

a relay is clicking for a second so thought it may be a wireing fault

cheers da

Da

Less
Yeah spray everything, connections, terminals, the bulb holders, everything. WD is a moisture dispersant so will drive out any moisture ingress.

The rear lights are on a black inline plug-in connector, make sure you do that area too.

There is a single earth point behind the lights too (i forget which side) but just make sure this is tight and isn't showing any sign of corrosion.

The relay is clicking because it's getting negative feedback, from your suspected bad earth at the lights mate.

172 A Cupwork Orange™
Cheers will have a look at the weekend :)

oh also is it just a matter of taking the single screw out the one with the black top in the boot (rear of the light cluster) to get them out?

cheers

Last edited:

Da

Less
Yep, each cluster is held in by one thumb screw which you remove from inside the boot. :)

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Mine does this, but unless it's doing any harm i'll leave it.

172 A Cupwork Orange™
it dont look like its doing any harm im just strange if i know its doing it it will irritates the living daylights outa me

how long has yours done it for?

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I wouldn'd say it's bad, but i notice every little thing.

172 A Cupwork Orange™
Fixed it

the left cluster's connections were a little rusty so gave them all a sand and also gave the block a good clean and sanded the connections they were all solid just a little rust on the top causing a bad connection,
i reconnected it and put some electritions tape round the wires that go into the block to help prevent anymore condensation getting in checked all the lights work perfect
no more light on the dash either.

ps, i checked the right hand cluster to be on the safe side this looked as new all shiny no rust etc..

thx for all who helped much appreciated

RS4 480hp,STI 420hp,ELISE
I have the same problem since +-6 months or even longer. DrRollo is right, it's getting worse. I will do the same as you did.

RS4 480hp,STI 420hp,ELISE
Think it's fixed. I took out all the bulbs and the metal connectors were all rusty