ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fonts questions - Graphic designers / Photoshop users

LY 182
Does anybody know of any decent guides / tutorials for typography?

There's a lot more to PS than I understand I guess. Like the Helvetica font. Looks awesome in some of these examples: http://blancer.com/tutorials/77064/helvetica-–-why-is-it-so-popular/

But never seems to look that good when I do it myself. I know spacing helps, but I don't know what other tips and tricks you can use for better typography.

I'm a sucker for some nice typography and simplistic web design. Just not that great at it myself!

mas

MK7 GTD & Mini GP
A nice little trick to do, especially on headers, is to add a very slight drop shadow around the text. Makes it pop.

Google 'smashing magazine' - they have some great articles on fonts.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Use drop shadow in tiny, tiny amounts. Knock it right back too.

It's hugely ugly if you don't.

Helvetica needs decent spacing to look right, especially in the heavier weights. Watch your kerning. Especially between the horizontals.

Have a read about Massimo Vignelli & Unimark. Now that's typography. Gives me the horn.

LY 182
Btw Chris do you have an online portfolio? Would be interested in seeing some of your stuff! (Could mail me a link to that too if you don't mind).

mas

MK7 GTD & Mini GP
There are some nice free fonts about at the minute too, have a look at Vegur & Yanonkaffeesatz (sp)

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Emails coming out in the next five mins.

It's a big PDF, by the way.

Vignelli > all, though. He did the NYC Subway infographics and signage, if you fancy a look.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
I've taken half the work off my online portfolio now mate, it's not even live. I'll send you my portfolio when I get home, because it's on my MBP.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Here's a screengrab of a couple of e-magazine spreads. A lot of people don't like DIN because they think it's too clinical. I <3 it.

2cf4cbd8.png

41672cac.png

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Cheers. TeZ, a fella that used to be on here, he's sh*t hot at web stuff and a great designer too.

He's a mod over on DesignerTalk, which is absurd, if anyone remembers what he was like on here. LOL.