ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

For all IT boffs that know about msi's

Clio 172 Mk2
Hey all

I'm a need of a bit of help with an msi file that i need to role out at work. Basically i have an msi file that im gonna push out silently to all the pc's on our site via group policy. The only problem is the last section of the install package that appears when you run the msi file requires the user to click next. Is there anyway to easily edit the msi file to automatically click next so that the user is never prompted to and the install runs silently as it should do??

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Are you rolling it out using AD GPO ? If you role it out using that the user shouldn't be prompted for anything.

Either way you would be best using a response transform for what you want. (google it). If you get stuck let me know.

Clio 172 Mk2
yeah i'll be using AD group policy mate. I know it should do it silently without prompting the user to do anything but won't the install fail because it's sitting there waiting for it to be prompted to click next??

what's a response transform used for mate? i'm pretty new to all this group policy stuff

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Dead easy, use a packager (you can get a free trial for most of them) point it to the msi.. the msi launches on your machine and you step through the install procedure.. it takes a note of your 'responses' and writes them to a .mst (transform) file.

Then just deploy the msi in AD choosing advanced method of deploying and then go to modifications tab and add in the .mst file.

I use a VMware machine to test deployments.. if it doesn't work first time all I need to do is reload the snapshot and try again. Saves a lot of time !

I'll post up what packager I am using.

Clio 172 Mk2
awesome mate, that sounds pretty simple i think. I've just managed to download a cracked version of installshield 9, will this do the trick??

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Just had a look.

I am using Macrovision's Adminstudio 8.6. I use the Tuner to create the response transform.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
No probs.

You should set up a test OU in the AD. Drop a test box into this OU and try deploying it to this before you roll it out to everyone.

Clio 172 Mk2
yeah i already have a test OU setup so will just drop a few of our helpdesk pc's in there and test it on them.

Just to confirm something with you mate, this installshield 9 i have just downloaded lets me create these transforms fine so i think i know what im doing. When i've created the transforms though i'm guessing it makes a .mst file??

Do i then just push out the .mst file via GP or do i somehow have to link this to the original .msi file?

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
no, deploy the msi file as usual and when it asks what type of deplyment you want choose advanced.

then click the modifications tab and add the mst file and click ok

dk

911 GTS Cab
you might not even need to do this, have you tested on a machine yet using a gp?

I have an msi i needed to push out this morning and it needed a tick box and next etc and it went fine without doing all this advanced stuff.

worth a try initially.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Its worth doing a response transform as you don't know what the defaults are for a silent installation. Is it going to do a single user install or an all user install etc.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Just had a look.

I am using Macrovision's Adminstudio 8.6. I use the Tuner to create the response transform.

pfft I thought you were a die hard techy command line bod, Orca ftw :p

Not really anything else to add, as dk says some stuff will fun fine without having to make any changes but as KDF points out if you use a transform (a file with the extension .mst) you can specify install properties.

Could talk about this really dull and boring subject all day as it's my job lol. Although don't get to do much packaging now as it's, er, all been done and being a smallish place we don't really get many new desktop apps.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
pfft I thought you were a die hard techy command line bod, Orca ftw :p

Not really anything else to add, as dk says some stuff will fun fine without having to make any changes but as KDF points out if you use a transform (a file with the extension .mst) you can specify install properties.

Could talk about this really dull and boring subject all day as it's my job lol. Although don't get to do much packaging now as it's, er, all been done and being a smallish place we don't really get many new desktop apps.

I have orca and use orca for editing the tables, but its a pain if you want to add files into the msi install, with admin studio its pretty easy and quick.