ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Free bhp for 172!!!!!!!

Had my 172 in dealership for new clutch/engine mounts/gearbox thingies.

At last I find a mechanic who knows everything about the 172 and is brilliant.

Listen to this though - when I pick up the 172 he says that the ECU wasnt set up right and I havent been getting full power out of the engine!!!!! He said that they had redone this now though and I should get more power!!!!!

Now my car isnt slow - frequently stick with wrxs from rolling starts and lap (on the track) exactly the same as a mate who has a lovely mk1 172 (and he is a great driver).

Get in the car after the mechanic has redone the ECU and there is an immediate NOTICEABLE difference. The exhaust sounds so much more "boomy" as soon as I floor it, and whats most noticeable is an increase in low down pull. The car seems to be so much more torquey!!!!!!!!

I am so chuffed as its like I have had an upgrade for free and the car just seems to fly more.

Never thought Id say this, but im starting to leave it in a higher gear and letting the torque pull more, rather than changing down and letting it rev like a b*tch!!!! The engine and exhaust just sounds so good.

I love the 172 soooo much.

Dealerships out here in Australia. In Sydney. Tynan Motors at Sutherland.

Quite a long way for a lot of you to come for a service!!!!:eek:

Afraid I didnt BaBOo. I was still picking myself off the floor thinking about the further fun I could derive from the car.:eek:

Martin,

Would be good to know it this "noticable performance" lasts, everytime I get the car back from service it feels faster but after a few days it returns to normal.

One other thing maybe due to the new clutch kit you had fitted? my friend has his clutch kit done, and his car feels loads faster.

I dont think it is because of the clutch as the in-gear acceleration just seems a little sharper and as i said more torquey. I have driven it 500kms since it was done last week and it really has made a difference and still does.

Girlfriend, and mates have all noticed the difference in sound of the car and how it pulls harder. I think it literally was down to the nupties who sold it to me not setting the ECU up right first time.

Actually just got a call from the mechanic at the dealer who corrected it last week who said that they had just got the code for a new ECU upgrade (something to do with the computer communicating with the Injectors for the engine???). I assume you lot in the UK are way ahead of us in Oz on this one. Have you heard of that upgrade (under warranty of course)?

Anyway, he said that they didnt have it in ime for the service last week, so he said I could pop it in tomorow and hed do it for me. Im going in at 8am - should take 30 mins.

Does anyone know what this upgrade actually does?

Would have loved to have timed the car before and afterwards. Thing is I only ever did crude stopwatch timings - and theyre a joke.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Will just be an ECU software update, its quite common...

What age is your 172 mate?!

When I had my 106 GTi that had the ECU flashed to the latest software and made the car smoother and seemed quicker, so likely to be the same thing here.

I always have the same feeling with my car after it goes in for a service.. feels so much quicker, then after a week, seems sluggish. Doubt thered be a new ECU upgrade out here in OZ every time the car gets serviced, so maybe some parameters in the ECU are reset back to factory defaults

BTW martin, i personally think Tynans are a bunch of f**king pricks :)

had the same with my car last week. They havent said they did anything as I didnt speak to the engineer. I was told he has a 172 of his own so knows about them. Mine was in for a few things:-

Brake compensator valve (wrong one fitted)

Lumpy tickover

Clean engine breather (They overfilled it be 35mm on the dipstick and since then drop off of performance and lumoy tickover)

Clutch pedal juddered when let up slowly (new cable fitted)

Rattle high up in Dash and in drivers door

Gears crunched going into 5th (New gearbox oil done)

Car now goes like stink again, best for months. Low down torque is brill and the wife noticed straight away.

martin: im located in canberra.. had a run in last year with tynans when the immobiliser packed it in while i was up in syd. short story, tynans new f**k all how to fix a mk1 and made storys etc up. was sitting in sydjey for 6 weeks and not repaired.. got renault aus to freight the car back to the dealer in canberra, and it was on the road again within a week.....

that sounds pretty bad mate - sorry to hear about that. Funny - as I really have had a great experience with them so far. are you on the ozzy cliosport forum?