ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

free play in steering wheel

hi, i've got a 95' clio rsi (well the mrs has) and i've recently noticed the near side front wheel is almost bold and there is quite a bit of play in the steering wheel. had the wheel bearings done not long ago so whats wrong with it?

cheers, John

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
the mk1s do have play in the wheel. mine has about 1 to 2 cm's.

as for the wheel being bold, to many wheel spins! lol. :)

It'll only be the steering column if the car has PAS...manual columns don't have the same bush that wears out on PAS columns giving the vague steering.

Get the tracking checked out

For the coulmn, if its an RSi it will have PAS.

Pull the rubber boot up at the bottem of the column, you will see a universal joint, and then above it a rectangular section, with the rest of the coukmn slotted inot it, prolly with loads of plastic tack coming out of it, grab the column above and below this is twist and see fi there is any play, there shoudl be no play in it when twisted like this by hand.

Easy soloution is to get a garage to weld this joint up, makes the stearing 100% better

Renault Clio 16v
Had loads of play in my 16v so once I got the steering rack replaced (£200 for reburbished one as renault don't make new ones anymore) and my steering is perfect!

Andy

The Fatty said:
the mk1s do have play in the wheel. mine has about 1 to 2 cm's.

as for the wheel being bold, to many wheel spins! lol. :)

WTF! no they dont! they have no play at all! if you have play u need to get yours sorted aswell! def sounds like steering column. not sure on the rsi but the 16v is a renault only part, has to be ordered in from france and can take about 3 weeks!

check the track rods first!!!
not track rods end, just rods (wheer you adjust the tracking)

I have play in my 172 mk2 and changing my track rods soon

williams and trophy
weldin the column up is a much better idea anyway tbh....if it hasnt gone yet.........it will..