ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Front speaker wattage question

Clio 172 cup
Going to replace my front speakers and head unit. I don't want to bother with subs and amps just yet. Most headunits bang out circa 50w per channel so allowing a bit not to over work the speakers anything more than 70w rms would be unused. Furthermore a more powerful speaker would need more power to drive it and therefore may actually be quieter than a less powerful speaker. Or have I missed something

Clio 172 cup
Actual s**t the bed, just come across this:

http://www.teamrocs.com/technical/pages/headpower.htm

Can't believe I have been duped for literally 14 years about headunit output! I genuinely believed I was getting 4x50 rms from my headunits

I'd be better off just chucking any old headunit it and purchasing a modest 4 channel amp to power the upgraded speakers, hell I'll just plug my iPhone into the amp input and do away with the headunit entirely

SQ5
Actual s**t the bed, just come across this:

http://www.teamrocs.com/technical/pages/headpower.htm

Can't believe I have been duped for literally 14 years about headunit output! I genuinely believed I was getting 4x50 rms from my headunits

I'd be better off just chucking any old headunit it and purchasing a modest 4 channel amp to power the upgraded speakers, hell I'll just plug my iPhone into the amp input and do away with the headunit entirely

No really as if standard unit you'll then need to splice a lone level converter in so the sound won't be as good.

Don't forget it's about quality more than power too

Clio 172 cup
I know. I only have a tuner list headunit at present so I do need a new one with rca outputs and I'll be getting one with USB input.