ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

FTTP Internet Help, and Router help... again....

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Okay, this is a long one so you'll have to bare with. At the bottom is the CURRENT problem we are having so you can skip to that, but some background first.

-------------------------------

The new development we live on his a few certain "quirks" but this one is by far the most annoying. The house doesn't have a BT Phone line, at all. Instead it uses a different infrastructure that is installed (by morons) for a company called Independant Fibre Retail Ltd. This means we had the choice of one, yes one, ISP called "See The Light".

The package isn't too bad really. It's fibre to the property, rather than fibre to the cabinet. So In theory, epic speeds and reliability. The first guy that came to install it, didn't arrive. The second guy ballsed up pulling the fibre line into our house so bad, the developers had to dig up the garden and re run it into the house! The third one was rude as hell and didn't even activate the connection.

For a month or two though, the connection was pretty damn good. The issues started to arise as more people moved in. It seemed during peak times (8pm-10pm) we had multiple drop outs, some nights the internet was totally unusable. See The Light were absolutely useless in trying to get it sorted, and around this time another ISP (DirectSave) came into the mix so we switched to them.

Months of phonecalls back and forth, I really got the impression it was me and my ISP vs. IFNL (the people who own the line, think of them like BT OpenReach). They just really didn't want to send an engineer out if their life depended on it. The thing was, it wasn't just me. Most of the people in our development (Specifically in our road) had exactly the same issue! We were all complaining and yet nothing was happening.

Fast forward to now, and after months of back and forth they apparently "Fixed the issue" on our connection on Wednesday evening. It's a lot longer of a drawn out affair than that I can tell you, but I'm tired of typing.

-----------------------

The problem I have today however, is now there's something up with my Router. How do I know its the router? External pings to the connection show no drop outs, but apparently yesterday it dropped out and my dad "had to reset it before it would connect again". Obviously, I was rather sceptical he HAD to reset it for it to work. However, this morning whilst trying to upload photos, I had an annoying issue. It seemed the upload would get to about 1% then the upload speed will be totally throttled. I'm talking 15 hours to upload ONE photo.

I reset the router, and now its fine. So to me this says there's now an issue with the router. I've emailed the very helpful guy I've been dealing with at DirectSave, but as far as they are concerned just setting the PPPoE connection to auto detect is all I need to do! That and making sure the MTU is set to 1492.

So please, I beg, does anyone know where I can go from here? Router is an TP-Link Archer C7. This plugs into their "ONT" Box via its WAN port.

Thanks.