ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wifi/Internet problems

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Yesterday my internet stopped working, still not working this morning so i had to phone BT. they couldn't do anything as i have a third party router setup.

ive got 500mb fibre, so it goes little white modem then into this mesh setup -

at their request i plugged the bt smart hub 2 back in and it all worked fine, im yet to plug the deco back in this evening. i restarted the deco a few times yesterday but didnt solve the issue.

i also noted how much faster my speeds are with the smart hub 2 over the deco.
bare in mind im on fibre 500, an internet speed test comes back at 150mb using the deco, with the smart hub 2 currently up and running, doing exactly the same test i get 433mb.

any suggestions?

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Are you hardwire testing both hubs? Compare them when wired. It could be something like a QoS policy doing some magic on the deco
no, wireless, using my phone.

the second deco in my workshop is directly connected via a cable to the main deco in the house. yet if i do a speed check in the workshop im only getting about 70mb download. which is fine for teams calls but i was hoping for more.

in my head i assumed as the second deco is wired to the first i would be getting exactly the same speeds.

andybond

ClioSport Club Member
no, wireless, using my phone.

the second deco in my workshop is directly connected via a cable to the main deco in the house. yet if i do a speed check in the workshop im only getting about 70mb download. which is fine for teams calls but i was hoping for more.

in my head i assumed as the second deco is wired to the first i would be getting exactly the same speeds.
The speed difference could be many things including RF interference either from the original deco or from another device.

You dont mention the connectivity between the two deco devices. The link between the two could also have fault.

If possible drop the hardwire between the two and use the dedicated backhaul ( model dependant ) to compare.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
The speed difference could be many things including RF interference either from the original deco or from another device.

You dont mention the connectivity between the two deco devices. The link between the two could also have fault.

If possible drop the hardwire between the two and use the dedicated backhaul ( model dependant ) to compare.
the deco in my workshop is hard wired via a cat5 cable to the main deco in the house.

given the cable is run in conduit mainly under ground, id be very surprised if it was damaged.

no idea what that means - dedicated backhaul??

Gav_r26

ClioSport Club Member
  2006 Megane R26
Firmware all up to date? My deco system did some wierd stuff when it was due an update. Been absolutely fine since!

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
the deco in my workshop is hard wired via a cat5 cable to the main deco in the house.

given the cable is run in conduit mainly under ground, id be very surprised if it was damaged.

no idea what that means - dedicated backhaul??
Cat5 is limited to 100mb.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
It will be Cat6 ... looks identical to the untrained eye.
ffs... not happy now!!

am now thinking about how i can run a new cable to the workshop.

so any tips on what i should do with the mian deco in the house to make sure its working tip top? ill check for any updates shortly

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
interesting the cable supplied by BT is cat5e, its printed on it. (between main deco and white BT fibre modem.

am now thinking about getting a cat6 cable, see if it improves the speed. the cables arent expensive.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
BT gave it to me when they installed fibre, so may not be cat5
BT also gave me a cable and I was only getting circa 100.
Since I asked on here, I then went and got a new cable, 480+ on every wired test.

BT engineer didn't know what he was talking about.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
BT also gave me a cable and I was only getting circa 100.
Since I asked on here, I then went and got a new cable, 480+ on every wired test.

BT engineer didn't know what he was talking about.
just checked on screwfix, i can get a cat6 cable today. so have just ordered.

andybond

ClioSport Club Member
I dont like to assume , so I didnt know if you had a point to point cable , or running over powerline for instance.

Hence question.

As you have now established I think a cat6 cable would suffice.

What model Deco do you have? I have the Deco XE75 and I dont use a cable, I let the satellites talk to each other via WiFi and no issues with throughput

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
I dont like to assume , so I didnt know if you had a point to point cable , or running over powerline for instance.

Hence question.

As you have now established I think a cat6 cable would suffice.

What model Deco do you have? I have the Deco XE75 and I dont use a cable, I let the satellites talk to each other via WiFi and no issues with throughput
Ah I see, when I built my workshop I ran 4x cat5 cables to it from the house. Currently using one for Internet and one for cctv. Other two are spare.

Mine are deco x20

My workshop is to far from the house to pick up the main deco, hence the cables and second deco in the workshop.

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator
cat6, cat5 etc wont change the speeds at all (domestic setting)
Unless you are going upto 10Gigabit. But doubt it.

On the deco, are you using it as a "full functioning mesh" or a wireless access point?
Id disable ALL silly features on it and use it purely for wireless access (it still meshes) and make sure they are all backhauled.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member

On the deco, are you using it as a "full functioning mesh" or a wireless access point?
Id disable ALL silly features on it and use it purely for wireless access (it still meshes) and make sure they are all backhauled.
It does though?
My old cat5 sent circa 100. Changed it to cat6 and it was 480+? From the box to the hub.
@Crayola said cat5 can only take 100 when I asked in the IT thread?

G. Brzęczyszczykiewicz

CSF Harvester
ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Was it terminated with an RJ-45 plug or did it have tin cans attached?
200.gif

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182

its currently operating in wifi router mode.
what are silly features? if i knew what i was doing i wouldnt be asking for help ;)

no idea what backhauled means?

andybond

ClioSport Club Member
no idea what backhauled means?
Backhaul is a method for shunting data from the current access point back to the main one thats connected to the outside world.

Some have a dedicated backhaul wifi channel, some only a dedicated backhaul if wired and some just have a shared backhaul.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Just dug out the reel I used for my workshop, maybe it's not as bad as I thought

IMG_20240423_124928.jpg

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator
Backhaul is a method for shunting data from the current access point back to the main one thats connected to the outside world.

Some have a dedicated backhaul wifi channel, some only a dedicated backhaul if wired and some just have a shared backhaul.
Deco have wired backhaul enabled on them.

Essentially @Andy_con is the deco plugged into the ethernet at all locations?
Is it in router mode or Wireless Access Point mode?