ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fuel pump on Mk2 1.5 DCI

54 Clio Van w/Sports Kit
Hi guys,

I had an interesting day yesterday; I went to Chester Zoo with my gf (about 65 miles from us) and after a few hours in the baking sun, came back to my Clio van (54 reg, dCi 65) to find it just wouldn't start. Battery was fine and I could turn it over for maybe 20 seconds with no hint that it was going to fire.

I checked outputs on the fuel filter - no problem, fuel could be manually pumped through easily. I disconnected the input to the filter and got my gf to turn it over, but no fuel was being pumped through so I started to suspect the fuel pump.

Anyway, called out the RAC and had the guy check it over. After checking the fuel filter he found very low fuel pressure when turning the engine over as we did. He checked the electrics and found no problems :eek: ;)

After a bit more tinkering he wrote "suspect fuel pump" on a bit of paper and got a contracted recovery vehicle out to pick us up. 3 hours later and we are at home with a dead Clio.

Firstly, what are your opinions on it? Do you also think it's the fuel pump?

Secondly, if it is the fuel pump, what can you tell me about it? Where is it located, anything special to take note of, how big a task is it, how much are they etc.? I have a friend who is a mechanic by trade and an excellent garage just down the road.

Cheers in advance for any advice you might be able to give me :)

54 Clio Van w/Sports Kit
Never mind, we bought a Haynes manual and got it sorted. Turns out the filter on the lift pump was clogged - a quick clean and the engine fires up great!

Great work by the RAC new fuel pump high pressure is £350 in parts alone.

The lift pump is the one in the tank i think he means the high pressure one ie the one under the bonet.