ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fuel

Peddled device

Ive just read this on the Renaultsport site.If its true then it would be much cheaper to run on normal unleaded....and easier to find! I have to say that l notice a difference between Optimax & normal 95/97ron fuel.......

Panel of Experts

New Question
Road Car Technical
Vorticity asked Best fuel for a 2003 Clio 172

Ive just bought a 2003 Renaultsport Clio 172, and am perplexed at the range or "premium" fuels available. The sticker under the fuel filler cap states "98 RON recommended", which to my mind means super unleaded as opposed to standard unleaded. However its hard to find any pumps now labelled as super unleaded, as these seem to have been replaced by premium fuels such as Shell Optimax, BP Ultimate, or Esso Supreme. In turn, RON ratings are now not displayed on pumps and the fuel companies seem reluctant to mention RON in their marketing materials. Which should I be looking out for to give the best performance and engine life?

Allen Collen responds:: Technically the correct grade of fuel for the Clio 172 is 98 RON otherwise known in the UK as Super Unleaded. However it will function and perform as well on normal unleaded, but I recall that in the 0-60 dash it did make a difference of 0.1 of a second!

Peddled device

I know...but this is from a Renault expert(!).Hes saying that the performance loss is almost nothing (0.1 secs 0-60).
My question is has anyone timed runs with & without 98ron fuel to see if this is true?

Peddled device

I agree.Was just wondering if this expert is right about only a small difference in performance as theres a big difference in fuel costs.

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2

A) As said by 182_blue, done to death sooooo many time is untrue.

B) Stop talking about 95/97/98 get some 100RON Shell VMAX - now thats THE daddy.

:D - I can guarentee some people on here whove been away over the weekend will agree....