ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Can "Brand" of fuel really make that much difference??

Mazda Mx5 + Clio 172
Right heres a puzzler......
For starters we all know Renault reccomend 98 Ron fuel for the 172/182.... now usually I fill mine with Super Plus from Sainsburys (97 Ron btw) and get damn good fuel economy. Last week however I had reason to fill up at a Tesco with there Super Plus (99 Ron). In the last week since filling up at Tesco my fuel economy and the general feel of the car has been AWFUL, drinking fuel like an alcoholic and feeling very listless.
Heres the weird bit..... filled her up from nearly empty today with teh Sainsburys fuel, and suddenly she is running at 38mpg again! (So far anyway!!!) Can a difference in fuel REALLY make such a difference?? I know putting crap normal fuel in makes them rather listless, but I am wondering whether the Tesco one was TOO rich being 99 Ron? Either way I will only use the Sainsbury fuel (which is 2p cheaper a litre too) but was really just wondering what fuel anyone else uses or if anyone has had a similar experience? :eek:

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I thought all supermarket fuel was meant to be kinda poor in comparison to bp/shell ect...

I've never really been able to tell much difference between any brand of fuel baring Texaco's fuel. When I fill up with theirs my car just drinks it in no time and the car feels sluggish.

Better than yours. C*nt.
Mine lives on Shell Optislurp, but it says so on the sticker in the flap. I'm not brave enough to feed shite to two turbos.

Barge
I fill up at (usually) the nearest petrol station to where I am. Generally I'll use 95ron, used to use 98 but petrol prices have been irratic lately so depends how flush I'm feeling.

I might use up all my fuel to empty and fill up with 98 as an experiment next time.

Mazda Mx5 + Clio 172
Maybe I just got a bad batch of tesco fuel? Although I must say Texaco fuel I have used in a few cars and it is S***e! Supermarkets alledgedly get there fuel from the big suppliers anyway, I know Morrisons used to use Texaco (not sure if thats still the case)

Crappy work hire car
I've never really been able to tell much difference between any brand of fuel baring Texaco's fuel. When I fill up with theirs my car just drinks it in no time and the car feels sluggish.

Bet your wallet felt it as well, no matter where you go Texaco are always the most expensive!
I always just use the cheapest I can find, I don't think it makes a blind bit of difference - they just want extra cash imo.

Nippy white cup
IIRC Ali said the same...there where trucks from supermarkets and Petrol Stations filling up at the same terminal. TBH I Use tesco 99 and have no problems to report..i'm sure it would take a couple of tanks for the car to settle down on a different fuel but what difference does a couple of pence really make in the long run? I hate the fact that the prices are so dear compared to other countries but 2p difference would be about 50 quid over a year which even on my non CS highroller wage doesn't bother me too much

Chris

Bet your wallet felt it as well, no matter where you go Texaco are always the most expensive!
I always just use the cheapest I can find, I don't think it makes a blind bit of difference - they just want extra cash imo.

Yep, you're right, they really are expensive. The Texaco garage near me is the closest one to me and the times I've used it is just for convenience.

I've tried pretty much every brand and like you say, makes no difference at all.

Crappy work hire car
Yep, you're right, they really are expensive. The Texaco garage near me is the closest one to me and the times I've used it is just for convenience.

I've tried pretty much every brand and like you say, makes no difference at all.

Morrisons near my flat is currently fluctuating between 111.9 and 112.9 per litre.
Texaco just around the corner is fluctuating between 117.9 and 119.9! How can they justify it? I have to say though, BP is a close second, always expensive too.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
I think the ecu would need to adjust to what fuel your putting in it.

Filling with one one day and another the next isnt going to see you noticing any pros/cons straight away

Morrisons near my flat is currently fluctuating between 111.9 and 112.9 per litre.
Texaco just around the corner is fluctuating between 117.9 and 119.9! How can they justify it? I have to say though, BP is a close second, always expensive too.

119.9? Robbing b******s! Round here the Texaco is 114.9, the supermarket prices vary between 111.9 to 113.9. I mainly use Asda because they're the cheapest.

Crappy work hire car
119.9? Robbing b*****ds! Round here the Texaco is 114.9, the supermarket prices vary between 111.9 to 113.9. I mainly use Asda because they're the cheapest.

Btw I forgot to say both those are for 95 unleaded, not the special stuff!

Lionel Richie
do you really think Tesco's, Sainsburys, Morrisons etc all have their own oil refinerys??

Answer - No

they all buy from esso, bp, shell etc

Its a clio, it runs on normal stuff fine, we run £170K lambos on cheap fuel, no problem

Golf GTD Mk7
do you really think Tesco's, Sainsburys, Morrisons etc all have their own oil refinerys??

Answer - No

they all buy from esso, bp, shell etc

Its a clio, it runs on normal stuff fine, we run £170K lambos on cheap fuel, no problem

This. As far as I know, ESSO, Shell and BP all start with the same petrol and then refine them seperately. Supermarkets get it from them.

Although if you can afford a lambo, stick some decent fuel in it ;)

Lionel Richie
the 100+ cars in the fleet run the cheapest stuff we can get, only the scoobs and evos get the good stuff (they do go pop)

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
I put Super in the Golf when i got it back in October as i was informed it would give considerably more power/mpg ...

Made no difference to the mpg, so it now gets the cheaper stuff. The performance has dropped off noticeably mind you (its turbo'd), but as i just sit on the M3, i dont really care. No way in hell would i spend £1.25 a litre on Optislurp when i do 2k a month lol ...

330Ci (Fail)Sport
I used to use VPower or Tesco 99 for quite some months. Now been running the last few months on 95 and not noticed any difference in performance or mpg so far.

Skoda fabia Vrs
normal stuff for the twingo.. its been proven that it only affects turbo cars..

scooby and evo's.. look up a fifth gear episode... they rolling roaded a subaru and it made a hell of alot more power with the better fuel

320d
I just stick supermarket 95ron in mine. If I had a turbo'd car like an Evo or Scooby, or a highly tuned one then i'd use Vpower.

Fact of the matter is my car is a 172, they really don't need top quality fuel. Its hardly a precision engineered engine.

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
Yes. Yes it does.

My mate works for Shell Global Solutions (the people who test fuels and oils for the producers and car manufacturers... and they developed the race fuel for Ferarri).

They strip engines down, run them on different fuels, strip them down again and look at the whats changed. V-power is the best for everything... efficiency, cleaner injectors, you name it.

It's worth paying the extra for in my opinion, and the people who actually know about this.
:)

DMS

A thirsty 172
My car runs beautifully on anything 97 RON or above, it doesn't matter what.
There's absolutely no difference in MPG as far as I can tell.

Last edited:
  Ferrari F430 Spider, 182
Vpower in my Ferrari and my 182 Clio.

I have a Vpower loyalty card which is good.

For the record, if you DONT put Vpower in some Ferrari models you'll get the engine light come up. Pain in the back side having an irratating orange light come on in the corner of your eye :(

So we're kinda blackmailed to use Vpower only

Lionel Richie
^our 20 ferraris are fine, and they're flat out AFD, think the forum world has created a bit of "bulls**t" generally surrounding a lot of cars

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Vpower in my Ferrari and my 182 Clio.

I have a Vpower loyalty card which is good.

For the record, if you DONT put Vpower in some Ferrari models you'll get the engine light come up. Pain in the back side having an irratating orange light come on in the corner of your eye :(

So we're kinda blackmailed to use Vpower only

Has it happened to you or is that what you have heard etc?

Ferrari F430 Spider, 182
^our 20 ferraris are fine, and they're flat out AFD, think the forum world has created a bit of "bulls**t" generally surrounding a lot of cars

Has it happened to you or is that what you have heard etc?

I had it happen on my ex 360. Spoke to a few of the boys (not on a forum) who all said the same. In fact I was having the prob when using BP's top stuff as their petrol station was on the way home from work for me and my mate said "no no no only use Vpower and you'll get rid of the engine light".

I wish you would all stop talking about your ferraris and lambos, it is very depressing!

Sorry Harry. :eek:

172 cup
Always use v-power but they were out for a week last time I went to fill up so had to go for the 99tesco and the car is drinking it in comparison lost about 6mpg

phase 1 Clio 172
Most fuel companies get from the same refinery, however the tanker drivers have a fuel card which has the different additives the different companies use. The so called premium fuels have more additives, and the cheaper fuels have less, and in the case of asda have none at all. Like someone else said already it's about £2-£3 more for v-power a tank but i'm happy knowing my babys getting the best!