ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Full fat 'toys'

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
imo cup182
182cup same thing :rasp:

dont for get the 172 cup that everyone raves about still has crap seats :rolleyes: which are the most important thing for driving :) and it doesnt even have abs! that is something thats needed in todays world!

ROFLOL

They are EXACTLY the same!

The only difference is that in a FF they have a leather/alcantara cover instead of a mossa grey cloth one.

Underneath that, they're identical apart from not having side-airbags.

I think he's talking about the van spec grey cloth and one piece rear rather than the physical construction of the front seats mark.

imo cup182

dont for get the 172 cup that everyone raves about still has crap seats :rolleyes: which are the most important thing for driving :) and it doesnt even have abs! that is something thats needed in todays world!

ROFLOL

They are EXACTLY the same!

The only difference is that in a FF they have a leather/alcantara cover instead of a mossa grey cloth one.

Underneath that, they're identical apart from not having side-airbags.
Just remembered - doesn't the 182 cup come with cack seats too ?? Hence why he changed them., so on that basis the argument is flawed.

2015 ST2(MO)/CorsaLE
it wasnt an argument anyway! thats something Mods like to do every day! it was a discussion, yes i did change my seats as they were pants! im now very happy with my car and the position of the seat and have all the toys i need ;)

why we have to have threads time and time again!

everyone saying the 172 is the best in the range! bla bla bla! the best in the range would have to be the trophy! and that is based on a 182 cup apart from the wheels /seats and suspension! the wheels are a personal thing! (admittedly the ff wheels weigh a bit more) the seats still sit to heigh (but look nice) and the suspension you would have to be on a track to push it to the extremes to know of any difference! imo!

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
the seats in the 182 or whatever model are shite tbh. so they have some cheap leather/alcantara on them. they still suck balls.

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
Well ive had both the 172 and 172 cup..

Tbh i prefer the toys in the 172 and the cups not that much faster anyway!

everyone saying the 172 is the best in the range! bla bla bla! the best in the range would have to be the trophy! and that is based on a 182 cup apart from the wheels /seats and suspension! the wheels are a personal thing! (admittedly the ff wheels weigh a bit more) the seats still sit to heigh (but look nice) and the suspension you would have to be on a track to push it to the extremes to know of any difference! imo!

I certainly didnt mention the trophy I said if I was buying a CUP it definately wouldn't be the 182. The only thing on the 182 cup models that I'd want is the exhaust manifold. The rest you can keep.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
imo cup182

ABS isn't required if you're capable of modulating your braking pressure. All the 172cup's that were put into ditches or through garden walls backwards were due to too much confidence and a lack of talent. Driving to the conditions is something you should do regardless of the presence of ABS. I personally would always go for a 172 over a 182 if I was looking for a cup. You're right both have pap interiors so may as well have the better car if you are sacrificing spec.

On public roads abs saves lives, simple as!
People should be able to modulate there braking and drive within the conditions of the road, but on the roads things can happen that are out of the drivers control. In those situations abs will always work better than any human attempt.
To many cup drivers think they are F1 drivers or something.

2015 ST2(MO)/CorsaLE

I certainly didnt mention the trophy I said if I was buying a CUP it definately wouldn't be the 182. The only thing on the 182 cup models that I'd want is the exhaust manifold. The rest you can keep.

i never said you said trophy!

A4 DTM/iceberg cup
172 cup is the underdog and thats where it gets the respect. it 10 ponys down (in theory) and still holds its own very well. wouldnt particularly say the other clios in the range are better or worse. its all personal preference as to what you want.. but the people that say it has sh!t seats blah blah and its a cheap version just dont understand the car. i personally would like it to not have electric windows or mirrors and as for abs...well whats it matter you pay your money and take your choice.

You're both right. How I managed 3 years in a GT Turbo when I passed my test as an inexperienced driver with no ABS, No Airbags, No ESP/traction, No SIP bars, in a car with all the structural strenght of a biscuit tin without being killed in a fatal car accident is a miracle. :rolleyes:

2015 ST2(MO)/CorsaLE
^ its not so much the seats in the 172/182 range that bugged me its how they felt/feel! so surley renault missed a trick with the 172 from the start!

2015 ST2(MO)/CorsaLE
You're both right. How I managed 3 years in a GT turbo when I passed my test with no ABS, No Airbags, No ESP/traction, No SIP bars without being killed in a fatal car accident is a miracle.

i drove a mini cooper when i was a lot younger and a new elise with out any of them! but its nice to have them if you have a choice!

Suzuki Swift Sport
I agree mostly - find that the climate control is more fiddly then just having a dial (find you have to look at the screen which is a bit dodgy when your driving). The auto wipers seem to work ok - not always doing exactly what you want but not far off!

The xenons however I feel are great - and like the auto switching.

Why do you think the trophy is the best? I'd have all the others over it its not that great for me.

it just seems to be the thoughts of the masses! as a package its pretty good! :)

Each to there own but personaly its to hard a setup anbd seats an't great and there no spare wheel well (admitidly a 182 specific issue but still)

Couple of the boys on here who owned both the FF 182 and the trophy both said that honestly it's only a better prospect if you are a trackday ***** who only has the one car. For day to day and fast road use/occasional track day they both felt the FF was the better all round prospect. Personal choice really I guess.

Si

RS Clio 172
can see this has turned into a battle of the models.

i love my toys though. CC works well, auto lights are superb as are wipers imo. although the rear wiper going when i don't want it to and pushing loads dirty water down the back of the car is never good..

non pikey interior ftw!

it wasnt an argument anyway! thats something Mods like to do every day! it was a discussion, yes i did change my seats as they were pants! im now very happy with my car and the position of the seat and have all the toys i need ;)

You mentioned your car in post #18 - until then no one had mentioned a 182 cup in this thread.
You say that a 172 cup came with crap seats as standard, so what ?? Yours did too, hence why you changed yours.

Also - a car with no ABS, sh*t the bed we're all going to die :rolleyes:
I managed for four years with a non abs valver, never had a problem. In fact in almost ten years of driving i've only ever had abs kick in once, probably because I can actually drive & don't need to rely on it.

I love the line about mods too - very original, not seen that before ;)

A4 Avant
I've owned a trophy and 172. I prefered the trophy overall, just wish it had the xenons and power of my 172 as std.

All the toys worked well on my 172, only one that disappointed me was the auto wipers. If it spottled with rain they came on and when it was a down pour they didn't. Also wiping the rear screen when you reverse annoyed me.

I don't actually mind the seats or driving position in a 1*2. I've been in far worse.

Last edited:

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
FF182's are the pinnacle of 1*2's

Wipers are badly designed, i agree.

Climate and autolights/xenons are worth their weight in gold.
And the interior is a nicer place to be (if the seats were better it would be spot on)

2015 ST2(MO)/CorsaLE

You mentioned your car in post #18 - until then no one had mentioned a 182 cup in this thread.
You say that a 172 cup came with crap seats as standard, so what ?? Yours did too, hence why you changed yours.

Also - a car with no ABS, sh*t the bed we're all going to die :rolleyes:
I managed for four years with a non abs valver, never had a problem. In fact in almost ten years of driving i've only ever had abs kick in once, probably because I can actually drive & don't need to rely on it.

I love the line about mods too - very original, not seen that before ;)

roy has a 182 cup iirc

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
imo cup182

A proper cup (a 172 one) = still the best 'cup' imo.
Cack seats - easily changed.
ABS, not needed in todays world at all. Only folk who can't drive need ABS.

Thank you Craig....couldn't have put it better myself.

In 3 years of non-ABS driving i've not locked it up yet....because i've not put myself in a situation that has required panic braking....like sitting up someones arse or driving like a knobtwat in the wet.

Its common sense.

As for the 'toys'...pah. CC is lazy mans A/C....A/C is handy...when its 80 degrees...which it is for about oooohh i'd say a week a year.
Lose the weight, open the bloody window and enjoy.;)

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
In all the years I have been driving I have never needed abs also but the fact remains it does save lives .
You might never put your self in a situation to need it but other people on the road can put you in that situation and on that one occasion if/when it happens can save lives or your car!
Lets stop pretending because you drive cups your better drivers lol

Black Ph2 172
hey guys,

I have a 172 ff - how do I know whether my autowipers are on (obviosuly if it rains they should come on) but is there anywhere on the dash which tells you. Also do 172s have auto lights and how do you operate these?

Thanks,

Andy :)

I agree the wipers can have a mind of there own, but i use the CC all the time and the xenon's are great.. lighting the whole road :D

53 Clio's & counting
In all the years I have been driving I have never needed abs also but the fact remains it does save lives .
You might never put your self in a situation to need it but other people on the road can put you in that situation and on that one occasion if/when it happens can save lives or your car!

This is so true, for example i havent had my abs lock due to hard driving on me for years, but the other morning i was driving to work, in the rain, half asleep,going down a hill when a bmw pulled out in front of me, i hit the brakes and the abs cut in, and i stopped in time, no doubt that if i didnt have it i would have locked up and there was a high chance i would have hit him, only because it was the worst case senario ( ie raining,down hill and me half asleep) in this case the abs saved my ass, so it gets my vote, and in day to day there is no difference between having it and not having it,as long as you dont press the brake too hard lol

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

Who said we are?

I routinely lock my wheels in my Cup on track as I search out grip levels.

On the road though, I tend to drive with my eyes open which is a far better way to be able to avoid incidents than relying upon ABS.

The "Yeah, but what about when you get no warning and have to react suddenly?" argument doesn't hold water in my opinion.

Very, very little on the road happens suddenly or with no warning.

Elise S1 B&C 140
I like the toys in mine, but as said they aren't needed items i.e the auto lights, i turn mine on everytime i get in the car out of habit anyway so they dont get used.

Auto wipers arnt auto, you have to switch them to auto every time you get in the car :clown:, but i do prefer the seats makes the car look good on the inside too.

The climate is really good, and works excellently.

I didnt buy the FF for the toys, neither did I look for the cup because it was 0.3 secs quicker to 60 lol, I looked at a few and this had the lowest mileage, looked the best looked after, came with warranty etc and didnt break the bank - too much.

Most people seem to change the suspension / brakes / performance anyway so that doesnt really come into the argument, and its hardly as if they are light years apart in terms of performance to start with, although i do admit the cups i tested seemed slightly more lively, however not much in it IMO.

Im sure all the diferent 1*2 models share the most annoying trait, I.e they are rattly french sh*t boxes :rasp: :eek:

Last edited:

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member

Who said we are?

I routinely lock my wheels in my Cup on track as I search out grip levels.

On the road though, I tend to drive with my eyes open which is a far better way to be able to avoid incidents than relying upon ABS.

The "Yeah, but what about when you get no warning and have to react suddenly?" argument doesn't hold water in my opinion.

Very, very little on the road happens suddenly or with no warning.

very true we should all drive with our eyes open and its very rare that these situations arise but they do sometimes and abs can help prevent accidents when they do.

Oh and Mark when I said about cup drivers thinking they are better drivers I was not refering to all cup drivers, including your self ;-)

Last edited:
  1 of 19 Recaro'd 182 Cups
PMSL at folk who think they can stop quicker in an emergancy on the road in the wet with no ABS than people with ABS because they believe they are better drivers.

i would say that 90% of road accidents happen quickly with no prior warning, or they would'nt result in an accident :rolleyes:

Nobody is saying that. We're just pointing out that it's only niave people who think that ABS is some kind of miracle system.

Knobbers with 172 cups who binned them every winter since they came out all used it as a lame excuse. The simple fact was they were driving beyond their ability or beyond what was suitable for the conditions.

In the same way all the people banging on about how amazing ABS is are equally niave. In the last 7 years of driving cars with ABS fitted I think it's cut in mildly on all of one occassion.

Granted it will aid some muppets by changing a minor bump situation into a narrow miss when they get it wrong. However it's not an idiot proof active safety system.