ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Full HD LED Monitor/TV Suggestions for gaming?

MINI FJCW
  182FF with cup packs
Pretty much any monitor will display "Full HD" output from an Xbox via a VGA lead. In PC monitor terms 1080p is absolutely nothing at all. it's only 1920*1080, I had CRT monitors capable to displaying higher resolutions 5+ years ago. In fact if it's being sold as a monitor, but can only do a max resolution of 1080p, then it's actually likely to be just a TV panel with the tuner removed.

Will you ever want to connect it to a PC for proper gaming?

Why specifically LED? Unless it's a full-array, it's pointless.

MINI FJCW
Gaming wise only Xbox 360, not into PC gaming. Im thinking of getting a Mac Mini aswell to hook up to it.

I thought LED was better than the older types of monitors? Im a bit of a noob when it comes to monitors/resolutions etc, so any help will be appreciated.

182FF with cup packs
LED is a bit of a marketing gimmick.

Actual panel wise they are basically the same as one advertised as a LCD, the only difference is how they are backlit.

Anything advertised as LCD will generally have a CFL light source behind it (usually a couple of horizontal tubes) and a diffuser to make it a single uniform backlight.

Most advertised as LED will actually be edge-lit LED , this means the the lighting is done by LED's that are arranged around the edge of the screen which allows the screen to be thinner.

The best LED ones will be full-array, which means there is an array of LED's behind the screen, this means that individual parts of the screen can be lightened or darkened, and some of them are actually RGB LEDs so that it can change the colour of the backlight. This is the best for contrast and quality.

This is a decent description with some diagrams if you're interested.

The long and short of it is quality wise:
Full Array LED > Edge Lit LED > Backlit LCD

If it's only going to be used for Xbox gaming then there's no real need to go for a higher res monitor over a TV based one.

I personally use a Samsung Syncmaster TV for my PC monitor. It has pretty much every input under the sun, HDMI, DVI, VGA, Digital TV tuner, I originally bought it as a bedroom TV and had my Xbox running through it until I accidently threw a cup of coffee over my normal monitor. I originally planned to only use it as a temporary replacement, but it's now been there for about a year as it performs reasonably decently as a monitor as long as you don't want a higher res than 1920*1024. (which does me fine).

MINI FJCW
Wow excellent response.

Thank you very much mate!

The only reason I've gone for a monitor, is that you can get a bigger one for the equivalent of a TV. Plus I'd rather watch TV downstairs on a larger TV.