ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fuming!

Focus RS
About 10 weeks ago i bought a 182FF from an evans halshaw garage after deciding it was the perfect car for me after i sold my old fiesta zetec s.
I picked te car up and the same day had it looked at by a friend who is a mechanic and he told me take the car back and have some things done under the warranty i had purchased as they would go wrong including the exhaust hanging stupidly low, a missfire, a ruined rear shocker and a shot gear selector which was like a spoon in porridge.
I took the car in and they kept it over the weekend and then brought it back and it was still missfiring worse than ever, they said it wa sprobably just the plugs so i bought ome ktec plugs and fit them at my own expense but it still misfired, so back in it went and a MONTH later i got it back afetr demandign my money back. Ive had it back 2 - 3 weeks now and there is a service light on when i drive occasionaly, it still seems lumpy on tickover with its missfire has an engine warning light that flicks on occasionaly and today after id fille dup with petrol it just died amd would not go at all. So after id pushed it out the way of the pumps i rang the garage and they said leave it and get a taxi home!, so i walked to the nearest evans halshaw garage and a salesman there helped me get the car going with jump leads as the garage id bought it from told me just to leave it and theyd get it tommorow. So ive told the guy on the phoen at the garage to tell the manager i want all my money back and he said theyll ring me in the morning to let me know if i can.

Would they be able to stop me gettign it back. as ive payed for a car that ive barely had, and they dont even seem interested!

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
They probably don't have to tbh, do you have any paperwork you can check the agreement on? Good luck though!

Focus RS
Ive got all the paperwork they gave me, finance sheets and such, all i want is for them to take the car back and give me my money back :dapprove:

Focus RS
The warranty covers everything except usual wear and tear like pads and bulbs. I just think that the fact theyve had it longer than i have is appaling

Monaco RS Clio 172
bad luck fella really am gutted for ya

quite rare to get one this bad especially from a dealer...?

C63 AMG
Does it have finance on it? If so write to your finance company and let them know your problems. The finance house own the car and may be unhappy to hear an asset of theirs is really a liability.

Amy

UR R26, Hyundai IX35
I work for Santander which is one of the main finance houses for the Evans Halshaw group...used to have to speak to the nobbers every day - f*ckwits, I tell you.

MCS R56
How long you had it? They have not sold you a sound car, so I reckon you have a case. Threaten lawyer action. Did you test the car?

C63 AMG
I work for Santander which is one of the main finance houses for the Evans Halshaw group...used to have to speak to the nobbers every day - f*ckwits, I tell you.

Any your company now owns the savings of many corner shop owners and butchers in Bradford & Bingley.

Focus RS
How long you had it? Did you test the car?

Ive owned the car 8 weeks, but it has literally been in the garage for 6 weeks, 4 of those weeks in one staright go.

I drove the car for 5 mins before i bought it as it had no petrol in whatsoever so couldnt go far, it didnt break when i drove it tho, plus i know nothing about mechanics, as soon as people i know saw it who know abnout cars saw it they said take it back which is why it was booke din to be fixed the day after i bought it.
And another evans halshaw garage told me it shouldnt have even been sold in the state it was in and that they have clearly taken advantage of me!!

A Flamin' Red one
Oh dear. I do feel for you mate but you really should have done some reading on what to look/listen for when purchasing. The ruined rear shocker and 'spoon in porridge' gear selector would have been noticeable straight away, surely?

Having said that, I can't see why the garage wouldn't honour their waranty. Even if nothing is written on paper, a verbal agreement will stand up in court should it go that far. Speak to trading standards, they're bloody great in my opinion.

Focus RS
Oh dear. I do feel for you mate but you really should have done some reading on what to look/listen for when purchasing. The ruined rear shocker and 'spoon in porridge' gear selector would have been noticeable straight away, surely?

Having said that, I can't see why the garage wouldn't honour their waranty. Even if nothing is written on paper, a verbal agreement will stand up in court should it go that far. Speak to trading standards, they're bloody great in my opinion.

I know what your saying, but id been told to expect the gearbox to be nothign like the fiesta had been, i assumed it was just liek that. And i wouldnt know a broken shocker from a working one, i know nothing about mechanics at all, which is why i got friends to have a look at the car.

Clio 172 Cup
I believe Evans Halshaw Dealerships have a three month warranty on all major mechanicals including electrical sensors. My advice would be to get a recognised motor engineer to look at the car and list its faults, scrutinise the warranty small print for exclusions then see what's left on your list and go to the dealer and get them to honour the warranty. The items that are on the exclusions list you can ask them to put right or you will (and do ) seek legal advice about the roadworthyness of the car when sold. Keep all receipts for work that you have done to keep the car driveable. Also get the dealership to give you a list of what their 120 point check actually includes prior to delivery. Try not to be aggressive when dealing with the staff, stay calm and focus on the answers you get. If they agree to anything get it in writing.

Sorry to hear about your experience as I bought mine from one of the aforementioned dealers and all the problems that I presented them with after purchasing and driving for over three months they were investigated and put right without any question.

referring to your point about lumpy idling, I mentioned this to the mechanic when the work was done on my cup and was told that they are all lumpy due to the timing. I did a search on here and he was not bullsh*ting me:eek:

Focus RS
referring to your point about lumpy idling, I mentioned this to the mechanic when the work was done on my cup and was told that they are all lumpy due to the timing. I did a search on here and he was not bullsh*ting me:eek:

I was told the same by the garage, they said theyd sort the timing and check everything else it could be, and it still was lumpy!. Hopeless lol

clio 172
did they put an mot on it?

if they did and it was in unsafe condition...threaten them big time....they will give you money back if they think they will loose the credibility between themselves and vosa

Amy

UR R26, Hyundai IX35

I was told the same by the garage, they said theyd sort the timing and check everything else it could be, and it still was lumpy!. Hopeless lol

Mine idles like a lumpy mofo aswell, car is fine though!

Any your company now owns the savings of many corner shop owners and butchers in Bradford & Bingley.

Yeah I know... and GE :eek:

Lotus Exige, 182
lumpy idle is normal apparently till it warms up.

Not read your post fully but it sounds like you want to reject the car under the sale of goods act - I think you can do this within a longer period of time than 14 days with motors. Have a look on the telegraphs website, specifically Honest John's weekly articles. He usually advises someone how to reject their car every other week!

FPOS Productions™ 172 FR
sounds like you have been sold a car that wasnt fit to leave.

You purchased the car believing it to be of sound quality, to be told that there are issue that needed to be sorted. you returned the car to have these fixed under warrenty, to which you say they hadnt been.

you either demand the car be fixed to the correct standard, or all payments will stop and the car left in their garage, stand your ground mate. i had the same trouble with a 306 which ive now found out was initially used by the Tower Cirucus clown show. On starting the car the gearbox and door fall off and the clutch re homes itself on the parcel shelf.

Haybails1980

ClioSport Club Member
That's terrible!

I bought my car from Evan's Halshaw and loads of little things have gone wrong with it. I'm lucky if I go 3-4 weeks without something going wrong. My car is still under the Renault 3 year warranty until November though so everything gets "fixed" for free.......but it's the point of not having the car. I bought a '55 plate 1 year ago so that it would be reliable and it turns out to have been an error.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Not a good psition to be in mate, sounds like a friday afternoon car to me mate.

Id say the misfire is bound to be a coil pack but even at such id roll it infront of the front door and demand that they take it back.

Id have a lawyer write up court procedings, that should show that your not f**king about mate!

My 172 had a lumpy idle but i started running her on v-power it seems to be smoother now

182-racing-blue

mine has a lumpy idle all the time, both of them have think thats normal,

It is normal, just more so when you go from a cold start.

When the engine is real cold mine back fires until the engine has warmed up and the automatic choke relaxes.

A Flamin' Red one
Pop down to your local solicitors. They're obliged to offer their services for free for 30 minutes but to be honest, they've probably dealt with so many of these cases you'll be satisified in 15!

Focus RS
Id say the misfire is bound to be a coil pack but even at such id roll it infront of the front door and demand that they take it back.

My 172 had a lumpy idle but i started running her on v-power it seems to be smoother now

I was told the car had a new coil pack fitted when it was in for a month, and the spark plugs on the car are only 6 weeks old at most.

Running the car on v-power helped, but then last week it just started doing the same again, beyond lumpy, the hwole car shakes when its stationary.

Monaco RS Clio 172
elbo it asap mate get a letter from a solicitor don't wait around the longer you leave it the worse it will be / harder it'll be

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R

I was told the car had a new coil pack fitted when it was in for a month, and the spark plugs on the car are only 6 weeks old at most.

Running the car on v-power helped, but then last week it just started doing the same again, beyond lumpy, the hwole car shakes when its stationary.

Well id ask them to change it again and also the HT leads, i wouldnt car if it only cost £100-200 to get the whole lot fixed id hand it back asap!

172mk2 - flame
Shaun skelton near Saltburn? I always took my clio to carcare in Marske, always did a great job! maybe get them to look at all the faults for u! then go back to where u bought it.

Dodgy one
The warranty covers everything except usual wear and tear like pads and bulbs. I just think that the fact theyve had it longer than i have is appaling

Thats what they tell you mate, Had a few probs with the 182 from the garage i bought mine extended warranty too, Ive had a driveshaft and shock replaced, as a result of the driveshaft i ended up with new front brakes because of the CV boot.

The steering wheel cracked so i tried getting a new one (didnt happen :() front top mount went, they wanted £60hr to strip the strut down and replace the damaged part two hour job they said :lol: In the end i told them to stuck the warranty up their arse and have replaced the parts at work took me 30 mins to have the strut out and replace the top mount and 10 to bolt it all back in :rolleyes:

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Im sure if you put up enough fuss and threats of press and the likes including trading standards you may get somewhere