ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

garage binned broken spring

Dannyeff

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 trophy
need some advice here.

The guy i have used to get my car thought an mot has advised one of my cooksport springs have snapped ( not good)
I have just phoned him and conveniently he has binned the spring and only has the broken bit.

Should the garage really be doing this ?

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
wait what?
You no longer have a spring? WHy did he take it off without you ordering a new one?

Dannyeff

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 trophy
wait what?
You no longer have a spring? WHy did he take it off without you ordering a new one?
I have a full set of standard springs .. tried to get holiday to give him springs but couldnt get one untill tomorrow.

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
Oh man. that sucks. Well if the spring was broken then not much use to you so thats why he prob chucked it.
I would make sure you keep the unbroken cooksport spring. im sure there would be someone after just the one

Listerine & Poledo
Should the garage really be doing this ?

Depends, did you want to keep hold of a broken spring? Maybe for sentimental issues or something?

Provided there;s no argument over whether it was truly broken or not, no issues.

Dannyeff

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 trophy
Depends, did you want to keep hold of a broken spring? Maybe for sentimental issues or something?

Provided there;s no argument over whether it was truly broken or not, no issues.
Well cooksport have advised they will replace the spring but they want to see a picture and want to get it posted for testing. hugely frustrating

leeds2592

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Although probably not helpful now, when a garage does any work on mine, I always ask them to keep the old parts just for peace of mind that they aren't taking the piss.

I'd think about trying the following:

"Can you lift it out of the bin please and hold on to it so I can send it back to the manufacturer and get a replacement? Thanks"

Let's hope that when you go down there, they don't tell you the bins were emptied 5 minutes after it was disposed of, and the spring they show you is from another vehicle and they are trying to pull a fast one.

Dannyeff

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 trophy
I'd think about trying the following:

"Can you lift it out of the bin please and hold on to it so I can send it back to the manufacturer and get a replacement? Thanks"

Let's hope that when you go down there, they don't tell you the bins were emptied 5 minutes after it was disposed of, and the spring they show you is from another vehicle and they are trying to pull a fast one.
I called him and he said the guy has collected the scrap

That's very convenient as I'd assumed.

Hopefully the spring prop they store is of a substantial size to the point CS detectives can determine it's not a cooksport spring.

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
Why has he kept the 'broken bit' yet binned the rest? If you were going to bin it surely you'd just chuck it all.

It may be innocent, but it also may not be!

Dannyeff

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 trophy
Why has he kept the 'broken bit' yet binned the rest? If you were going to bin it surely you'd just chuck it all.

It may be innocent, but it also may not be!
The thing is he done a wheel bearing for me and gave me the old wheel bearing back in box lol?

Clio 2.0 16v 182
I think major point has been missed here. I've never seen a cooksport spring snap (that wasn't on a crashes car) How old was the spring? And who fitted it?

he gets scrap value for his scrap metal , he kept the small broken bit to show you as it would not significantly affect his scrap weigh in .
its completely fesable the scarap was collected today and he won't have had a broken bit of a cooksport spring laying about .

i am sure if you clean up the tail of spring he has left it can be identified as being the colour of the cooksport springs and there is nothing more too it than that .

Volvo S60 T5
I get rid of old items ASAP unless asked to keep. Scrap man is round daily and I don't get any money for my scrap just gets it out the way.
He may be able to ask the scrap man for it back as they normally separate the different types of metal for maximum money's.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Thing is, we always keep all parts from a customers vehicle until they've collected it. They're then given the choice to take their old bits or to bin them at our place, where upon I let the local scrap lads have it.

Seems a bit convenient

182, SQ7, Trafic
I get rid of old items ASAP unless asked to keep. Scrap man is round daily and I don't get any money for my scrap just gets it out the way.
He may be able to ask the scrap man for it back as they normally separate the different types of metal for maximum money's.

If he comes daily then surely holding on to it for a few hours, even by putting it in the boot, isn't really effecting you is it?!

2010-11-14-21-11-18498052210.jpg