ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Garages advice, is it true?

Clio Expression 5dr
Hello all,

My sister had the tensioner changed on the drive belt a week ago, but in the last few days it's started making a noise again so she took it back to the garage today to have them hopefully adjust the tensioner.

They said it's not the tensioner, it's the front wheel bearings. The problem with this is, you can hear the sound when the car is idle? How can you possibly hear wheel bearings when the car is not moving!? Unless I'm being dim. I had a listen myself and it's obvious the sound is coming from the belt area, but the receptionist said that's just the noise travelling around the engine bay. They Also said they cannot tell her what side wheel bearing it is, unless they take it all apart and by that time they might aswell change both wheeling bearings as that's what is recommended. Is this complete rubbish? As surely you can hear/feel what wheel the bearing is on it's way out?

What do you guys think?

Thanks,
Liam

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Oh dear.

Speak to someone else for a start.

You won't be hearing the w-bearing on idle, they rumble when rotated.

Sounds like either the tensioner or idlers to me etc.

Clio Expression 5dr
I think the receptionist is a part time mechanic in her spare time the way she goes on.

Regarding the wheel bearings, is it true you don't know which one needs being replaced without taking it apart?

I've only ever checked rear wheel bearings and it's been obvious when the needed being replaced by the sound, is this not true with the fronts?

Thanks

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
I think the receptionist is a part time mechanic in her spare time the way she goes on.

Regarding the wheel bearings, is it true you don't know which one needs being replaced without taking it apart?

I've only ever checked rear wheel bearings and it's been obvious when the needed being replaced by the sound, is this not true with the fronts?

Thanks

Absolutely b*llocks mate.

If they're making noise, Jack the car up & manually rotate the wheels individually.

Sounds like they're trying it on to me..

Clio Expression 5dr
Absolutely b*llocks mate.

If they're making noise, Jack the car up & manually rotate the wheels individually.

Sounds like they're trying it on to me..

Okay thanks mate, so exactly the same as testing the rear wheel bearings then?

Nope, not even sure if a noisy wheel bearing would be found anyway - as it's not driven on an MOT is it?

Definitely seems like the garage are trying to have you on though, being immediately noisey after the belt was changed would definitely suggest idler/tensioner being the culprit, and they're trying to get out of it.

Clio Expression 5dr
Thought as much with my limited knowledge lol. Thankyou all for your help! So just to clarify, if I jack the front of the car up and spin the front wheels, will I be able to hear if the wheel bearing is on it's way out? And also do you need a press to change the bearings on the front?

Just wondered about the tensioner being picked up on the mot and it has to be started to do the brake test doesn't it? So could be heard during that time?

Thanks

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Yes you will probably hear it, you will also feel play if you grab the top of the wheel with one hand the and the bottom with the other and try and tip it back and forth.

Yes you need a press.

Not sure an MOT would care about tensioners TBH

Clio Expression 5dr
Yes you will probably hear it, you will also feel play if you grab the top of the wheel with one hand the and the bottom with the other and try and tip it back and forth.

Yes you need a press.

Not sure an MOT would care about tensioners TBH

That's great, thanks.

Clio Expression 5dr
Just a small update. Went through the MOT today, failed on the windscreen washer pump which I've now changed. Mechanic said there was no play in any of the wheel bearings so obviously like we thought, the garage is trying to get out of fixing my sisters car.

Will name and shame now as I know the facts. The garage is called swift garage in Great Yarmouth. Probably called swift as they're quick to make up excuses I should imagine