ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gaz Gold Coilovers - spring rates advice

R26 F1
Hello

I just bought a GAZ Gold Coilovers and I have a question about spring rates.
What spring rates could you recommend for daily and track day use 50/50.
In stock they are coming with 275lbs front and 250lbs rear.

Thanks in advance

Regards

RS Clio 172 Cup
As I understand it springs are rated to the dampers so will vary from manufacturer but im no expert by a long shot

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
are the rears on these actually a coilover unit, or an independent shock and spring?

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
independent shock and spring, like standard
The reason why the rears would need to be stiffer than the fronts is due to the motion ratio. The original rear spring position is a lever with a ratio of around 2:1, so the 250lb rear springs are actually only 125lb as that's what the wheel see's due to this lever ratio. If it's a coilover rear unit like a set of Ast sportline 2's the motion ratio becomes 1:1 so if that was fitted with a 250lb spring, the wheel would see the full amount.

Does that answer your question or have I misunderstood?

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
I understand how the suspension works, but what I don't is why Gaz for example gave their spring rates in one manner and renault in a different manner. I was curious how stiffer are the gaz springs compared to std cup springs and can't tell from what I've found so far
As I said, GAZ springs are labeled 275lbs/in font and 250 lbs/in rear
Renault says front cup springs 3,19daNM/mm front and 5,65 daNM/mm rear
Based on these two statements I can't make a comparison of which springs are stiffer because it looks like they were measured in different ways

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
just find an online tool for transferring NM to LBS.
unless im misunderstanding how you have written those figures.

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
I written those as I found them around here.
So 275 lbs/in is about 5kg/mm-front
250 lbs/in is approx 4,5kg/mm-rear
as for the renault quotes:
3,19 daNM/mm is about 3,25kg/mm-front
5,65 daNM/mm is about 5,7kg/mm-rear
So this is where thigs go blurry, cup rear springs being WAY stiffer that Gaz rear springs??